telecaster pickup advice

One of the most valuable places you can go to make your guitar right. Don't guess, ask an expert and trade tips. professional guitar techs and service's people are welcome. If your into guitar repair or just into working on your guitars, this is the place to stop in and share your knowledge or ask for help.

telecaster pickup advice

Postby Hiwatt Bob on Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:41 pm

1. i've got a '97 am. std. tele. i've never been truly satisfied with the sound of the stock pick ups. i'm looking for a bright, twangy--but still kind of clean bridge pu sound. and if possible, i'd like to have a neck pickup similar to that of the nocaster where the middle position is the neck with normal sound, and the far position is kind of that dull, bassier sounding. maybe this neck pickup issue is a wiring one as opposed to a specific type of pickup.

right now i'm considering either the fralins or the custom shop nocaster pickups. which one's do you think i should get? if the fralins, what kind of spec. do you think?

(i'm feeling more confident with the soldering iron ever since i've been restoring my binson echorec) :wink:
Hiwatt Bob
Baron

Postby gooodtones on Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:49 pm

Have you checked the 'Kinman' noiseless tele pickups out?
I have a set and they sound/respond great 8)

Here's a link to his website....

http://www.kinman.com/

Good Luck....
gooodtones
Page

Postby thucydides on Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:50 pm

I'd recomend a DM Twang King for the bridge. I'm not at all familier w/your neck pup reference, but my personal favorite in the neck is the DM Virtual T neck. It sort of reminds me of what I remember the neck pup in a Les Paul Deluxe sounded like. The Deluxe has minibuckers, BTW. I should say that this "memory" was from a guitar that I owned in 1987, so take it with a grain of salt! :) At any rate, I do love the DM Virtual T neck.

Having said that, I also realize that there are quite a few pups that I haven't tried!
thucydides
Page

Postby Hiwatt Bob on Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:10 am

i have a lp deluxe ('73), so i know exactly what you're talking about.

i'll have to look into those. thanks for the suggestions.

as far as the neck pu--i think it may be more of a wiring issue. i've played a nocaster (and '52 ri's) and you have 3 pu possibilites 1. bridge 2. neck bright (normally this would be a blend of the bridge and neck) and 3. neck dark (normally this would just be the neck). i guess i'd rather have it this way as opposed to the normal way.
Hiwatt Bob
Baron

Postby mulder on Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:51 am

I have a '51 Nocaster reissue (P-H-E-N-O-M-E-N-A-L guitar, btw) and they have a blender pot. When it's switched to the bridge pickup, you can use the pot to blend the neck & bridge together.
mulder
Baron

Postby PeterS on Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:45 am

maybe this neck pickup issue is a wiring one as opposed to a specific type of pickup.

Yes indeed. If you look for tele wiring diagrams on the web there's a very early wiring diagram in which the neckward position of the switch connects a biggish cap to take the high end off. That arrangement has been in some reissues and in some of the Squier teles.
PeterS
King

Postby HedleyGrange on Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:11 am

I have the CustomShop "Nocaster's" in my Tele and they are great pickups.Maybe not as much twang as some bridge p/u's but it's there when you need it if you know how to use your tone knob.The neck pick up is full and round.I love 'em,they switch nice from chimey clean to shag-nasty.I use a .033 tone cap and the kinman treble bleed circuit. :)
Space truckin, four on the floor, five and dime at the liquor store...
HedleyGrange
Certified

Postby Hiwatt Bob on Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:02 am

those kinman's look very nice. but they might be just slightly rich for my blood right now.

i do want a nice "broadcaster" sounding pickup though--do you guys think the nocaster one's would be what i'm looking for? those would probably be the easiest to find.
Hiwatt Bob
Baron

Postby HedleyGrange on Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:53 pm

The Fender CS Nocaster bridge pup is IMHO a good place to start.I know there are some great after market pup makers out there(I'd love to try some Lollars) but not sure if the diff. in $ is going to equal the diff. in tone.Remember they are all trying to copy pups that Fender made in the first place.I think the Nocaster would sound good in a Broadcaster,it's slightly hotter than a reg. tele bridge pup so it has good mids and not so much that it loses it's twang.
Space truckin, four on the floor, five and dime at the liquor store...
HedleyGrange
Certified

Postby claudel on Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:22 pm

There's a new board here:

http://WWW.TELECASTERMASTERS.COM

Dedicated to the various 'casters and is operated by somebody that winds some
pretty nifty sounding pickups for them....

Claude
claudel
Page

Postby VikingOne on Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:00 pm

I've got a Rio Grande in the bridge slot of my Tele and a Duncan QP in the neck. The Duncan is a very dark sounding pickup you might dig it if thats what youre after. The RG just screams too. Its a slant tapped hum that you can switch to single. I've had a compliments on the sound of that guitar. Wish my strats sounded as good.
VikingOne
Baron

Postby Hiwatt Bob on Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:47 pm

WWW.TELECASTERMASTERS.COM

these pickups seem right up my alley--i'm really going for the roy buchanan type sound. wow, these might be the ones. if the price is right.

I've got a Rio Grande in the bridge slot of my Tele and a Duncan QP in the neck. The Duncan is a very dark sounding pickup you might dig it if thats what youre after. The RG just screams too. Its a slant tapped hum that you can switch to single. I've had a compliments on the sound of that guitar. Wish my strats sounded as good.

i was looking at some rio grande p-90s for another project.
Hiwatt Bob
Baron

Postby claudel on Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:58 pm

Hiwatt Bob wrote:

WWW.TELECASTERMASTERS.COM

these pickups seem right up my alley--i'm really going for the roy buchanan type sound. wow, these might be the ones. if the price is right.

Check with Don. He's detail oriented ( to say the least ) regarding the RB sound.
He even had access to Roy's 53 Telecaster to use as a reference and he might
have a couple of sets available now. He's reasonable on price. Depending on his stock
you might need to have cores for him to rewind.

The clips I've heard of his winds sound great.
I'm probably going to replace Froggy's Bardens with a set of 2324s before long...

Claude
claudel
Page

Postby The Pup on Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:54 am

I really like the Fender Delta Blues OEM Tele pickups...whatchout though, they're bright!

I also dig my Fralin blues specials too.
The Pup
Prince

Postby welshman on Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:40 pm

i have used just about every s/d pickup for tele `s, plus fender , whites, emgs, etc but 3 years ago i changed to a set of VOODOO 50`s and have not changed since , best thing i ever did all the vintage vibe you need , no squealing or noise but great fat tone , love them .
to be born welsh is not to be born with a silver spoon in the mouth but music in your heart and poetry in your soul www.flatlandboogieband.co.uk
www.myspace.com/flatlandboogieband
welshman
Knight

Next

Return to Guitar Repair and Guitar Tech Tips