De Temple Guitars--anyone using them??

Every brand has a home in this forum. If your like many guitarist and use guitars that are custom built or just production, your in the right place.

De Temple Guitars--anyone using them??

Postby steveokla on Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:58 pm

I was visiting with a dealer friend of mine who just picked-up a used De Temple Strat--he raved about this thing like no other. I've stumblerd onto the name from time-to-time (heard talk fo the 'sweetspot pu's, etc.) but don't really know anything about these guitars. Can someone give me an overview?
steveokla
Baron

Re: De Temple Guitars--anyone using them??

Postby Peteyvee on Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:59 pm

steveokla wrote:I was visiting with a dealer friend of mine who just picked-up a used De Temple Strat--he raved about this thing like no other. I've stumblerd onto the name from time-to-time (heard talk fo the 'sweetspot pu's, etc.) but don't really know anything about these guitars. Can someone give me an overview?

I know I can't afford one right now. :lol: He makes 3 basic models: a '52 (tele) a '56 (strat) and a "jazz" (tele w/rosewood fingerboard). He also makes aftermarket parts that are expensive, but like all his stuff, it's top quality.

I met him once at a trade show a few years ago. I played one of his '56's (strat) and it was truly amazing. He's a very friendly guy and I would buy one of his guitars in a minute (and wait 2 years for it to be built!) if I had a spare 6 or 7K lying around. Truly superb instruments.

http://www.detempleguitars.com/temp/intro_1.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_DeTemple
"The problem with kids today is that their hair's too short and their music isn't loud enough." -Peteyvee
"It's not the notes you play, it's the notes you don't play." -Miles Davis
Peteyvee
Keeper of the Shrub

Postby steveokla on Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:31 am

Thanks very much for the info--it's particularly good to hear from someone who's had that opportunity to play one of these, not to mention visit with the guy himself. Much appreciated. Steve
steveokla
Baron

Postby Strat59 on Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:10 pm

If it's a Tele you're looking at , a Chiho Hahn will do it , same Tone & Quality at far less
$$$ and lead time :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdunPJ0ZE-A
"Blues players don't mess around with a guitar, they hit the bloody thing"........ Rory Gallagher
Strat59
Baron

Postby steveokla on Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:27 pm

It's the Spirit Series strat.
steveokla
Baron

Postby Easto on Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:19 pm

I know Mike Detemple is usually at the annual Los Angeles Amp Show with a guitar or two. Although the Detemple guitar might seem high priced it can be built to your exact specifications with plenty of custom options. A custom guitar is a bit out of my reach at this point but there's no harm in dreaming.
Easto
Certified

Postby Peteyvee on Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:00 pm

That's where I met him...There's another LA Amp show on October 3rd.
http://www.ampshow.com/
"The problem with kids today is that their hair's too short and their music isn't loud enough." -Peteyvee
"It's not the notes you play, it's the notes you don't play." -Miles Davis
Peteyvee
Keeper of the Shrub

Postby mkguitar on Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:13 am

Mike DeTemple is a heck of a steel player.

He has great ears and has managed to make guitars which sound musical and have features ( or lack of) which help the music fall out of the guitar into the amp.

I visited with him in his shop some years ago and have played a few of his guitars ( I have Pals who own)

Really great guitars.

MK
On Tour
mkguitar
Squire

Postby steveokla on Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:28 am

Thanks for the input. The one I"m looking at arrived yestereday--been fooling with it all day to make a decision, which I've now reached: it's a keeper. I started another thread that has a few photos. These are, in point of fact, pretty special instruments. Best, Steve
steveokla
Baron

Postby Mitch Roberts on Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:18 am

I'm sure they are nice, but those cost CRAZY money! For a solid body? Oh well, if you've got it, flaunt it. :cheers: :jam: :thumbsup:
"If life were fair, Elvis would be alive and all the Elvis impersonators would be dead."
--Johnny Carson
Mitch Roberts
Squire

Postby steveokla on Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:30 am

Truth is, it's a used one (apparently, the used ones are more rare than new ones!) and part of a trade--be assured, I'm not ponying-up $7K.
steveokla
Baron

Postby B-Squared on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:07 pm

I don't think he does it anymore, but about 5 years ago I sent my Strat to him him and he did the treatment on it.

It's still the best Strat I've ever played, and I play it every weekend. :D

The only thing I have to do is keep the strings changed. :cheers:

BB
I use Punky McGoo's pickups...and Grundy MacTavich's electronics in my guitars. :D
I also use some Bardledoo caps, and like what I hear. ;)
B-Squared
Duke

Return to Modern Guitars