1st LP since '69, love it, but PU's must go-which ones?

Every brand has a home in this forum. If your like many guitarist and use guitars that are custom built or just production, your in the right place.

1st LP since '69, love it, but PU's must go-which ones?

Postby steveokla on Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:21 pm

Back in the day, I played nothing but SG standards. I'd buy them--all used, of course--sell them off when I needed a few bucks. After all, they'd always be available and never change, right? Well, the last time I did that, I'd rat-holed enough to buy a new SG (got a price break at my uncle's music shop) in '68. All those I'd had before were '65 or earlier. Suffice it to say, when I got the '68 (had to order it) I just about barfed: what happened??? I kept it about 6 months and sold it off. Our drummer had bought a '57 LP Custom from an old desperate dude who wondered into the music store where he worked part time while the manager was out--paid $300. I played that guitar for two years--the first and last LP I played before or since. Sounded great, but was like having a cinder block around your neck, so I never really warmed-up to it like my old SG's.

Got a GAS pain the other day and bought an R8 from a friend/dealer outside Atlanta--very nice sunburst plain top I'm very happy with (by the way, my thanks to Peteyvee for educating me and walking me through this purchase). I plugged this thing into my '64 Vibroverb, which is loaded with an old K120 and was about blown out of the room. That's saying something, as I 'practice' in that room with my amps pretty much cranked--e.g., strat through my single showman at around 3:00 o'clock). I've been fiddling with the guitar for a few hours now (arrived late yesterday) through various amps--very nice player, and not nearly so heavy as the old Custom I played way back when. But I really don't care for these pickups--they're Burstbuckers 2 and 3. They allow for no versatility--I'd like to cover a lot of PAF bases with this guitar--and I find them harsh.
Bottom line is, I'm going to replace them with something. I've been reading some of the threads on various PAF clones, but the info is overwhelming. Gibson makes the Classic '57 and a '57 Plus which caught my attention--I do like the idea of the bridge pu being a little hotter than the neck pu--but players have given these mixed reviews. I read some pretty good things about the Duncan Antiquities. There are at least a half-dozen other replacments. Here's what I'm after: classic PAF tone from the neck pu that will cover most blues, classic rock and the little jazz I play (in other words, just like the old '57 I had way back when). Something a little hotter at the bridge ( though not so extreme as the Burstbucker 3 that's in there) but still with classic PAF tone.. Recommendations??? Thanks, Steve
steveokla
Baron

Re: 1st LP since '69, love it, but PU's must go-which ones?

Postby Peteyvee on Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:16 pm

You're welcome. I believe parkhead or Twin AC stacks have a line on some great PAF clones from some guy in Canada or Northern Michigan. The Sheptones are also supposed to be really good. I'm really glad the R8 worked out for you. I like those guitars... :thumbsup:
PTV
"The problem with kids today is that their hair's too short and their music isn't loud enough." -Peteyvee
"It's not the notes you play, it's the notes you don't play." -Miles Davis
Peteyvee
Keeper of the Shrub

Postby steveokla on Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:41 pm

Thank, Pete. Best, Steve
steveokla
Baron

Postby Mills on Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:40 am

I've heard some good things about Seth Lovers and here is a Youtube vid which has some pretty slick tones. It's not on a Gibson but I think it's a pretty good demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7RqSLEknVM

I've also heard some good things about Dr. Vintage pickups though I have never tried them myself. There are some nice demos on the page though:

http://www.doctorvintage.com/

Good luck!

-Nate
Mills
Court Jester

Postby steveokla on Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:10 pm

Thanks, Nate. Steve
steveokla
Baron

Postby chupy on Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:09 pm

I like the Seymour Duncan Seth lover at the bridge. Just the right amount of output. Not wax potted so it’s got that airy complex harmonics. Although I don’t like the Seth Lover at the neck position. Not enough output to keep up with the bridge position. Sound’s like a big volume loss. Not huge but significant. Not a good transition from pickup to pickup.

So what I’ve done instead is use a Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro II at the neck position. Although wax potted it does sound ok for a neck position. But I have taken out the A2 mag and slid in a A5 mag to get more cut at the neck.

Another great pickup winder is Wolfetone, he’s made me some custom humbuckers in the past. At the time I was going for a Jimmy Page tone. And their not wax potted either, and I prefer that. Their around 8.3k at the bridge with an A5 mag and scatter wound but with one coil weaker then the other to get it more cutting, brighter. I forget what kind of wire I had him use though.

http://www.wolfetone.com/
chupy

Postby speedemon on Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:58 pm

I have a pair of 57 classics in my Mockingbird, works great in my cover band. Use the 57+ in my metal guitars. Going to try the 57s in my metal guitars, seem less harsh. Sound clips from WCR and Bare Knuckles are impressive. If you like that nasal tone, you might like the Gibson 490s
speedemon
Peasant

Return to Modern Guitars