Anyone have a Noneck strat? Like it?

Every brand has a home in this forum. If your like many guitarist and use guitars that are custom built or just production, your in the right place.

Anyone have a Noneck strat? Like it?

Postby steveokla on Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:22 pm

Once I bought a Nocaster a few years back, I really fell in love with that fat neck--I'd like it on everything. The now extinct Rockin Dog '59 Relic (a dealer select out of Garrett Park Guitars) has that neck--I bought one for that reason, though I'm not crazy about the 6105 frets. Anyway, after two '68 oly white strat fiascos, the '68 strat GAS is (pardon the expression) passing. More sensible (and eminently cheaper and less risky) to get back to a Custom Shop--no denying many of these are gems. Anyway, back to the firehose neck--I've never played one, but I know the Music Zoo Noneck has the Nocaster neck with medium jumbos--more my style than the tall skinny 6105's. They have little at the website at the moment, but on e mailing them, I leared they're getting in another batch of Nonecks. Not sure what they'll be yet (i.e., whether they'll be an oly white, rosewood board model), but I'm interested. I was wondering if anyone out there has a Noneck or at least has spent some time with one. If so, how do you (or did you) like it? thanks, Steveokla
steveokla
Baron

Re: Anyone have a Noneck strat? Like it?

Postby LReese on Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:17 pm

Yes - got 2 of them. My 2 favorite Strats. Mine are both Ash/Maple with 6105's.

The neck is not for everybody - It's comfortable, but it's big. Even for my big hands.
LReese
Page

Postby steveokla on Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:51 pm

The Nocaster felt weird when I first picked it up--then, after about a half hour, I realized how comfortable it was: no cramping-up, no hand fatigue. I've been hooked ever since. I can play the 6105's, but I still find them a little strange. Is your preference for the ash over the alder?? Can you tell me what pu's they put in these guitars?
steveokla
Baron

Postby LReese on Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:18 pm

I think they are CS 54's - just not sure. One's a '55 Reissue and the other sold to me as a '50's. Been on a PU quest for the '50s as it came to me with Lollar Flat Poles and RWRP - Just have this thing about flat poles and RWRP. Been through several sets - Liking Suhr V54's on it presently (Antiquity I bridge PU). I got another set for the '55, but not sure I will swap them out yet.

Basically these popped up for sale used and I picked them up - Either Alder or Ash is OK with me, but the Ash ones have a little something special to me. Got good ones in both woods, though.

Current rotation for me seems to be - granted I only have a few hours per week to play:
'CS 50's
Cunetto Relic 60's - small neck but also very comfortable.
EJ Sig
Japanese 60's Craft Shop with Duncan Livewire Classic II's - These Active PU's are really good.
'CS 55
LReese
Page

Postby steveokla on Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:50 pm

Thanks very much for the info. I think I know what you mean re the flatpole Lollars--had some in a '59 reissue.
steveokla
Baron

Return to Modern Guitars