Gibson really do take the p1ss now....

Every brand has a home in this forum. If your like many guitarist and use guitars that are custom built or just production, your in the right place.

Gibson really do take the p1ss now....

Postby g60_dave on Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:21 pm

Ive just tried out the Gary Moore BFG Les paul priced at £999 ($1400) and I cant believe how bad it was. The finish (I dont mean the actual finish)I mean the terible build quality, and everything about it was awful. The Vintage Peter Green absolutely destroys it. Its undefendable. The pickups were awful, anf the rear covers were clear perspex. I cant slate this enough. Even my wife, knew it was awful. Why are they making this rubbish?

If Gary actually saw this, he wouldnt be happy.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electri ... e-BFG.aspx
g60_dave
Page

Re: Gibson really do take the p1ss now....

Postby chupy on Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:21 pm

g60_dave wrote:Why are they making this rubbish?

It's not just that model...
chupy

Postby marantz1300 on Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:22 am

Is it April the 1st? They cant be real.
marantz1300
Page

Postby Peteyvee on Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:57 pm

No, they're for real...The soundclips from that BFG are awful... Somebody in their marketing and design departments needs to resign or retire before they need a bailout and Ted McCarty is probably rolling over in his grave.
"The problem with kids today is that their hair's too short and their music isn't loud enough." -Peteyvee
"It's not the notes you play, it's the notes you don't play." -Miles Davis
Peteyvee
Keeper of the Shrub

Postby jrr on Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:31 am

thank you.....now i realize how much better quality is on older gibsob lp'S...at least the ones i have :shock:
jrr
Knight

Postby firebirdjake on Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:01 pm

HOLEY CRAP! :shock:
(my apologies for hollering)
I must say, I just unloaded my '06 Firebird V and Faded V after discovering the bridge mounting studs were identical and interchangeable with those from a Gretsch Electromatic AND a MIC copy that had crooked inlays & logo. Sad,sad day.
Their replacement?
An '07 VOS TV Junior that's one of the most resonant electrics I've played. Can't seem to break this addiction......
Sua cuique voluptas

"What's polarity mean?" Quoth the "sound man" at a gig 11-16- 2012

Don't die with the Music in You!
firebirdjake
Knight

Location: Betwixt the plank and the earschplittenloudenboomer.

Postby Peteyvee on Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:06 pm

firebirdjake wrote:Their replacement?
An '07 VOS TV Junior that's one of the most resonant electrics I've played. Can't seem to break this addiction......

So's my '05 VOS Special. It sings! Here's to a solid piece of mahoghany and P-90's! :cheers:
"The problem with kids today is that their hair's too short and their music isn't loud enough." -Peteyvee
Peteyvee
Keeper of the Shrub

Postby Easto on Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:11 pm

I too am really disappointed in the direction Gibson is going. You just can't tell me that those things are worth a $h!t. They seem to be cranking out way too many different models to be able to standardize their quality control.
Easto
Certified

Postby Peteyvee on Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:31 pm

Easto wrote:I too am really disappointed in the direction Gibson is going. You just can't tell me that those things are worth a $h!t. They seem to be cranking out way too many different models to be able to standardize their quality control.

That's been exactly my point in several different discussions...they are completely inconsistent from guitar to guitar even with the exact same model... You have to play 5 or 6 to find one worth playing. It's a shame...
Peteyvee
Keeper of the Shrub

Postby firebirdjake on Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:09 pm

Gibsons have been somewhat inconsistent as long as I can remember, but it was usually neck profiles and little things that could make an instrument individualistic, and appeal to one set of hands over another. The overall playability was there but idiosyncratic- play a few to find the one that feels "right" usually worked. (at least till the dark days of the mid seventies)
These new models just boggle my mind- What market are they seeking, Acid heads? Years ago I cut holes in an old Jaguar :oops: under the influence, really stupid I know. But not near the bridge! I really can't see these Holey guitars having the sustain or tone of an unventilated version.
The variation from one piece of wood to another is one thing but these design exercises seem random and questionable to me,unless the designer of the Corvus has been re-hired! :lol:
Sua cuique voluptas

"What's polarity mean?" Quoth the "sound man" at a gig 11-16- 2012

Don't die with the Music in You!
firebirdjake
Knight

Location: Betwixt the plank and the earschplittenloudenboomer.

Postby Peteyvee on Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:48 pm

Just when you thought it was safe to go to the guitar store...the return of the dreaded Norlin era:

"The following text is taken from Gibsons 1980 'Sonex by Gibson' leaflet entitled 'Only the price brings it back to earth'
Gibson multi-phonic construction The Sonex Multi-phonic™ body is composed of Resonwood surrounding an inner tone wood core. The tone wood core not only acts as the anchor point for the neck, it also adds acoustic resonance and exceptional body resilience. The Sonex body is so resilient, that it's structural properties survived extreme testing in temperatures ranging from 40° below to 180°F."
sonex180 headstock.jpg
sonex180 headstock.jpg (17.1 KiB) Viewed 1674 times

Resonwood? Multi-phonic construction? 40 below zero? My fingers stop working at about 60 above...

And who could forget the fabled S-1?:
s1collage.jpg
s1collage.jpg (40.81 KiB) Viewed 1675 times

My point is that I'm not 100% sure the current issues they're having with guitar design are anything new...
Peteyvee
Keeper of the Shrub

Postby christco on Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:01 am

g60_dave wrote:If Gary actually saw this, he wouldnt be happy.

...for approximately 20 seconds, at which time he looks again at his just-arrived endorsement check from Gibson and feels immediately better.
All humans are vermin in the eyes of Morbo!
christco
Baron

Location: Allen Park, MI, home of the Detroit Lions, where the NFL draft is our Super Bowl!

Return to Modern Guitars