Pickup rec's for Fender SRV strat

Every brand has a home in this forum. If your like many guitarist and use guitars that are custom built or just production, your in the right place.

Pickup rec's for Fender SRV strat

Postby mudster on Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:06 pm

I've played with my SRV strat for 16 or 17 years now and never touched a solder joint. Over that time I've moved away from Fender amps and all my guitars sound better than ever except for this one. I think the Texas Specials just aren't cutting it. This guitar is strung 56 to 10 (heavy bottom, light top) and has a good solid bass response acoustically.
What pickups would you recommend? I've considered Fralin blues specials with a steel pole in the bridge, or the new Grosh pu's but I want other suggestions (specific models).
They must fit in a standard strat body with no drilling.
I don't want too thin of a sound. The pickups in my 60 fender relic sound fantastic, not sure if a similar set would go with this guitar. Don't need exceptionally high output, but want bell tone.

Amps: Vox ac15 and fendery-sounding divided by 13
mudster
Page

Re: Pickup rec's for Fender SRV strat

Postby g60_dave on Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:56 pm

Speak to Mick Brierley (google Brierely Pickups). I had a set delivered to the UK for less than half of fender CS and they are awesome. A few folk here can vouch for his greatness.
g60_dave
Page

Postby LReese on Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:25 pm

Sorry for the late response -

I've heard TS's respond really well to being very low in the pickguard. Might try that, otherwise...

Look for a PU set with bigger magnet poles and/or Alnico II/III magnets. Duncans seem to be straight 3/16" slugs. I have 1 set wound with .205 Alnico III slugs that seem to be in the direction you want - A standard cover fits. You could also go in the direction of a steel pole PU.

I went on a PU journey for an Alder/Ash Strat - wound up with Suhr V54's. I have an Antiquity I in the bridge of 1 of my Strats I like.

Zhangbucker on the Seymour Duncan forum can wind something custom for you at a reasonable price.

EDIT - Thought about it some more - maybe search out an EJ Signature PU set or do a pseudo set - like Duncan's Antiquity I in the neck and Aps II in the middle, Twangbanger in bridge. Could also go Fralin Real 54 neck - Vintage hot in middle/Bridge. Any combo of '54 Strat style in the neck and 60's mid/bridge. Not sure how a straight '54 set would do in an Alder/Pau Ferro Strat - likely great.
LReese
Page

Postby mudster on Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:07 pm

I've decided to try the new Grosh fat 60's with the baseplate on the bridge PU.
mudster
Page

Return to Modern Guitars