Need opinions on new Gibson Firebirds

Every brand has a home in this forum. If your like many guitarist and use guitars that are custom built or just production, your in the right place.

Need opinions on new Gibson Firebirds

Postby Easto on Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:52 pm

I've never owned one before but I really like the guitar. With that said... are there any issues that this guitar encounters when new, after aging? What should I keep in mind when buying a new model? I've read that the banjo tuners aren't the greatest.

Just throwing this out there.
Easto
Certified

Re: Need opinions on new Gibson Firebirds

Postby The Pup on Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:47 am

Although mine is not a new one...it took me a day or two to get used to the gawd awful "bango tuners." You just have to adjust your preconceived torque/rotation to pitch touch when tuning...and make sure your over-wrap (read tie) each string at the tuning post (the strings tend to rest at the very bottom of the tuner post).

I think the newer Firebirds may come with ceramic pickups which might sound fine for your needs...but may not be true to vintage spec. My Firebird V pickups were very weak (I'll have them remagnetized some day), so I replaced them with SD Antiquities (non-potted) and they are perfect for my needs. I really enjoy my Firebird and I took a little risk for reward.

P.S. I normally do not use 9-42 string sets (in fact, I have only used them on two of my guitars in the last 40+ years)...but my Firebird seems to like them best and it stays in tune very well.
The Pup
Prince

Postby firebirdjake on Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:33 pm

I've known and loved Firebirds for years- the tuners are, well....heard 'em described as "wonderfully inaccurate" in a book somewhere and it always made me chuckle. Right now I own an '05 Firebird V in white which I changed the pickups in to chase a more vintage sound, the stockers were too hot (never thought I'd be saying THAT) and too trebly, the old Hi-A's I found seem to be tickling my fancy right now. Try to keep the windings neat & tight on the tuners and under tension while wrapping and that seems to help the tuning a lot, but you kinda have to adapt to the tuners, just the nature of the beast. The 'birds can be a little quirky (funny balance, tuning) but reward the patient with a unique sound, feel and overall vibe that just says "Rock Me !"
Crankin' the Firebird right now!
Jake :mrgreen:
ps. Given the vintage market $$$$$ a newer Gibson is often all a mere mortal has to choose from, lucky you only have to change some parts to approximate the feel and tone of an original.
Sua cuique voluptas

"What's polarity mean?" Quoth the "sound man" at a gig 11-16- 2012

Don't die with the Music in You!
firebirdjake
Knight

Location: Betwixt the plank and the earschplittenloudenboomer.

Postby The Pup on Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:56 pm

Well said.
The Pup
Prince

Postby rocco on Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:11 pm

i have a '97 Firebird V, the only guitar i ever bought because of a guitarists influence. vintage sunburst, the finish on the burst was not done properly but i didn't mind, it's a fantastic guitar, but i hardly play it. no mods, still looks mint after 12 years, great growling tone when its overdrivien.
You're gonna need a bigger boat.
rocco
Knight

Return to Modern Guitars