What Pick ups do I want.....

Every brand has a home in this forum. If your like many guitarist and use guitars that are custom built or just production, your in the right place.

What Pick ups do I want.....

Postby g60_dave on Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:23 am

Ive recently crossed over to a lovely Strat, MIJ, 1999 pink paisley that is awesome. Pick ups sound ok but because Its been a long time since Ive had a good strat I cant remember if this sounds great, if that makes sense.
Do I want to upgrade? I play in a covers band, general RnR, and lovely, bitey tone ala SRV and especially John mayer (Id buy his strat but tortoise shell Scratch plate? pass) so would anyone recommend a set? Are the fender CS sets good?
Im in the UK and have searched ebay but its tough to pounce on a set for £150 not knowing whats what....
g60_dave
Page

Re: What Pick ups do I want.....

Postby Watto on Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:26 am

I've been into strats for many many years, during that time I must have tried every known brand of pickups, from Lollars ,Seymour Duncans , Kinmans , Lindy Fralins etc etc. I recently discovered a pickup winder from Australia named Mick Brierley , His pickups IMHO are the best I've ever heard, They have bite, attack , cleans and are well balanced between the lows, mids and highs. I now have 7 guitars with his pickups,all custom winds. He winds them to your specs. I just email him with what I'm looking for in a set and leave the rest to him, he hasn't dissapointed yet. He'll also accept a return for a rewind if you're not completely happy.

I know you're in England but with the English pound nearly 3 times the value of the Australian Dollar, they'd be a real bargain for you.

I want to say that I have no ties with Brierley pickups, I just totally dig the product and highly recommend them.

http://www.brierleyguitarpickups.com.au/

It might be worth consideration if you want a top end product

Watto
I'm a Fender guy
Watto
Squire

Postby CP 103 on Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:03 am

The Fender Custom Shop '54 pickups are great. The pole pieces are staggered and their edges are beveled. Sweet tone.
CP 103
Knight

Postby LReese on Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:03 pm

I'm partial to Suhr. Seymour Duncan makes some nice ones too. Fenders are OK, the thing that bothers me about them is the exaggerated stagger.

If you want noisefree, go for the Duncan actives.
LReese
Page

Postby detronati on Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:51 am

Check out Sheptone Strat pickups
detronati
Certified

Postby Frankie Sixxxgun on Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:00 pm

MIJ stock pickups are actually pretty good usually. A little hotter than usual fare IME, but that's not a bad thing. My buddy plays a MIJ Tele Deluxe with the Fender Split 'buckers, and man is that thing a sweet, sweet guitar to play. The difference between it and the Mexican RI are incredible.
Frankie Sixxxgun
The King of Crash

Postby speedemon on Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:46 pm

Yeah,

just avoid the Fender noiseless, and that overadvertised/over-rockstar-endorsed fare, and you will be ok.
speedemon
Peasant

Return to Modern Guitars