Angus Young Humbucker sound

Every brand has a home in this forum. If your like many guitarist and use guitars that are custom built or just production, your in the right place.

Angus Young Humbucker sound

Postby firebirdjake on Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:12 pm

Does anyone out there have an Angus Young humbucker in the lead position? I am wanting a more vintage (ie. slightly less power and sweeter tone) sound from my '05 faded V and one of these is available to me, the rhythm is already changed to an old Hi- A I've had for 30 years in various guitars which ohms out around 8.3 if I remember right. My hopes are the A.Y. would sound similar to a sixties Gibson pickup, thanks folks.
Tonefully Curious,
Jake :roll:
Sua cuique voluptas

"What's polarity mean?" Quoth the "sound man" at a gig 11-16- 2012

Don't die with the Music in You!
firebirdjake
Knight

Location: Betwixt the plank and the earschplittenloudenboomer.

Re: Angus Young Humbucker sound

Postby gemmill on Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:21 am

seymour duncan seth lovers are nice for the price, and lollar imperials are magic.
gemmill
Knight

Postby chupy on Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:22 am

I had a 65 SG standard years ago, (yes i know i should have never have sold it) pretty much nailed that tone. The secret to the old Angus tone is low output around 7.5k with a loose wind, A5 magnet and no wax potting.

Plenty of pickup winders out there who will wind ya what you want...

Or you can take a Seth Lover from Seymour Duncan and swap out the A2 magnet for a A5 magnet. Gets pretty damn close after the magnet swap if you ask me. 8)
chupy

Postby firebirdjake on Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:41 pm

Well, I got up off my duff and swapped in the Angus Young 'bucker in the lead position of my V. The tone is pretty much just what I'd hoped for- the lower output & alnico magnets sweetened up the sound nicely for bluesy rock and it still puts out plenty of grind. The bottom end isn't real pronounced, but then it wouldn't have been from a sixties SG lead pickup anyhow. Gonna call it a winner, and of course it can sound like you- know- who through the right amp setup. Gotta go, hear an Ampeg callin'!
Diggin' the scene :D Jake
Sua cuique voluptas

firebirdjake
Knight

Postby firebirdjake on Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:26 pm

After a few days I am noticing a LARGE difference between the lead/rhythm sounds- still trying to decide if it'll fly ( :lol: ) long term. Waay trebly to really bottomy, I think I may just rewire the tone to function on the lead pickup only so I can tone down the highs if desired. We'll see what the future holds. BTW- thanks for all the good advice folks, where can one find Lollar pickups near South Jersey/Philadelphia area, I've been told by more than one person they are the way to go.
Keep a rockin' Jake
Sua cuique voluptas

firebirdjake
Knight

Return to Modern Guitars