Carvin, Factory Tour and building the SH575 videos

Every brand has a home in this forum. If your like many guitarist and use guitars that are custom built or just production, your in the right place.

Carvin, Factory Tour and building the SH575 videos

Postby plexi on Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:51 am

Saw this video on the Carvin Guitar Channel. Bad to the bone. Glad we still have a true American company that does not build off shore electric guitars and can sell at a low price. Totally cool. I own a couple of Carvins and if you put them against my best Gibsons including my ES-355 which is wicked cool, and other models guitars including my Mahogany Strat, you will find they are dam good and for what I paid, I'm very happy with the quality and product. The SH575 and SH550 are a work of art and nobody is offering a guitar like this for that price.
So here are few cool Videos to check out:

Image Watch "Carvin Guitars Factory Tour"
Image Watch "Making The CT6 California Carved Top"

Click the bottom video, Making the SH575
The Music on the video, Making the SH575 is L.A. Underscore, who you have seen on our board.
plexi
Site Admin

Re: Carvin, Factory Tour and building the SH575 videos

Postby madjackhatter on Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:04 am

Vic, that is one cool piece of video. I find it absolutely amazing to watch CNC machinery in action. I grew up around a bunch of old school milling machines used by my uncles to make safe parts back in the mid 70's as a kid and to see where it's gone to now in what is really a short amount of time is mind boggling. We've advanced more in the last 10 years than we have the previous 100 I think.

I haven't owned a Carvin but the ones I've played seemed pretty nice. I seen one of those Holdsworth models of the early 90's played by a local prog rock guy through a VHT head and was really impressed by the tone. Very heavy but articulate. I need to bite the bullet and try a Carvin
(and a Sidewinder too... :wink: )
madjackhatter
Mad Baron

Postby plexi on Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:48 pm

It certainly helps to have good tooling!
plexi
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Arkadin on Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:58 am

I have a 1980 doubleneck by them that I like better than most others I've tried. The Gibsons were OK on the six sting side, but the 12 just seemed dead. This baby is all maple, so it has a lot of chime and ring. I had to fuss a bit with finding pickups I liked (especially to mellow out the six), but it sounds killer now. Great for early Pat Metheny stuff. I did refret the six w/small frets and scallop, but the fretwork on the 12 was good enough to leave alone. I hate most companies fretwork, so that's a big deal for me. The only bad part is the weight.
Mr. Arkadin
He of the over-sized avatar

Postby The Pup on Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:18 pm

Wow...that was impressive. I've never been on a tour of a modern instrument manufacture before. Very enlightening...tremendous investment in efficiency and quality (I assume).

Edit: Steve Oliver has some mighty impressive demo chops...Wow.
The Pup
Prince

Postby RocknTommy on Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:06 pm

Mr. Arkadin wrote:I have a 1980 doubleneck by them that I like better than most others I've tried.
Nice looking guitar!
I remember the Carvin catalogs in the 80's having almost every kind of double neck variation you can think of. You do not see that so much today.
Ampeg V4
Ampeg VT-22 (sold)
Ampeg VT-40
Sunn T50-C
Fender Pro 185
Love Pedal 1/2 watt
Peavey Heritage
Epiphone Valve Jr
RocknTommy
Certified

Postby prs1999 on Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:18 am

plexi wrote:It certainly helps to have good tooling!

All the tooling holders(in the CNC Milling machines) in the videos are made here in Solon(about 25 mins southeast of Cleveland) Ohio.
The size of the ones they used are KM 40's.
Company I work for is called Kennametal.
Nice to see an American company using American products.
prs1999
Peasant

Return to Modern Guitars