Strat year, am I right, or just an A-hole?

Vintage guitars are heaven with 6 or 12 strings for many players. Here you can exchange the tips, the photos and your favorite vintage flavor. Learn how to identify and ask the experts who frequent this forum

Strat year, am I right, or just an A-hole?

Postby AndyHighTides on Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:09 pm

A friend of my father was telling my about his '61 Strat, so I asked to see it. When he brought it out, I immediately said, "That's no '61." It had a large headstock, what I call '70's style, it also had 2 string trees. When he handed it to me, I noticed it was a hardtail with cover. Not sure what year they came out. The big thing for me was it was a micro-tilt 3 bolt neck. I thought that was a '70's thing. It did have staggered pole pieces which should put it '73 or earlier.
He was insistent that he bought it in '61, with matching amp. I had to see that, so I crawled into the closet and pulled out a silverface Deluxe Reverb. I told him it was a nice amp, and I left.
So, am I right, wrong, or just an a**hole?
AndyHighTides
Court Jester

Re: Strat year, am I right, or just an A-hole?

Postby Unit_1 on Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:14 pm

the sfdr came out in 1967 - the first ones had bfdr ab763 circuit as leo was working on a run away oscillation problem with the new circuit and ran out of bfdr faceplates since he was phasing them out. at least that's the story i've heard. i have a 1968 sfdr with bfdr circuit. :-)

so you're not an a-hole. well, actually, you might be, but at least not about the amp. lol.... :cheers:

but give him a break, most people are lucky to remember anything 50 years ago
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby AndyHighTides on Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:33 pm

I was quite polite about it, and offered my opinion based on what I saw. The problem is that he thinks he has a guitar he can get $20k for if he needs to, not a $3-4k '70's guitar.
AndyHighTides
Court Jester

Postby johnnyb on Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:14 pm

I could see how that could be a bit annoying. If he's a friend let him know, if he's just some random dude, forget about it. Let him have his dissillusion, there are plenty of other things to stress on.
johnnyb
Peasant

Postby Unit_1 on Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:35 pm

since it's your friend's dad and it sounds like you're interested in a purchase, you should probably tell him

here's the list of date and serial numbers so you can prove it to him:
http://www.guitarnucleus.com/fenderserial.html
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby knavel on Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:36 pm

You are not being an a-hole and the market will smack him down if and when the time comes.

I have a hardtail 59 so they were actually around in 61.
knavel
Certified

Postby Camembert Electrique on Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:19 pm

Second string tree introduced in '72 or '73. Staggered pickups discontinued in late '74. Oh, and hardtails were around from day one.

Kjetil.
"Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, 'Listen, mate, life has surface noise' "

John Peel
Camembert Electrique
Squire

Postby AndyHighTides on Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:26 pm

Thanks for the confirmation. I talked to the guy today, and he didn't mention the guitar, so neither did I. I'll just leave it alone knowing I'm right.
Maybe I am an A-hole!
AndyHighTides
Court Jester

Postby Pacafeliz on Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:12 am

dude, you're right.
and NOT an orifice.
:wink:
oaklandanny too wrote:Pat...
This is way late in posting... but I want to say that she's beautiful, man!!! You are blessed and the world will be a better place because of your little girl. Mark my words... She will live in a better world than we live in now... because she will help change it. God bless!!!!

RIP OaklandDanny, thanks for EVERYTHING! God bless you, always!
Pacafeliz
King

Postby parkhead on Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:22 am

AndyHighTides wrote:A friend of my father was telling my about his '61 Strat, so I asked to see it. When he brought it out, I immediately said, "That's no '61." It had a large headstock, what I call '70's style, it also had 2 string trees. When he handed it to me, I noticed it was a hardtail with cover. Not sure what year they came out. The big thing for me was it was a micro-tilt 3 bolt neck. I thought that was a '70's thing. It did have staggered pole pieces which should put it '73 or earlier.
He was insistent that he bought it in '61, with matching amp. I had to see that, so I crawled into the closet and pulled out a silverface Deluxe Reverb. I told him it was a nice amp, and I left.
So, am I right, wrong, or just an a**hole?

just Dont be an A-hole
this kind of thing happens 4 times a week ... to me

I have come to the conclusion that most people prefer to feel warm and fuzzy and would rather not be accurate with the details

as long as its not a buy & sell propsition let it slide

p
parkhead
Baron

Location: Rock & Roll isn't dead its just moved North of the Border

Postby Dervish Riff on Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:33 am

You might as well let it slide--as they say in the movies, "You can't handle the truth!"

I've found myself in the rather strange position of having to straighten out a Gibson factory rep about telling some guy with an early '70's LP that he had a '50's (those volutes are a little hard to hide).
Dervish Riff
Page

Postby vez on Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:27 pm

Well he plainly lied to you when he stated he bought it in '61 so, any proof you provide will show him to be a bold liar.
If you want to buy it, this is a no win situation.
vez
Squire

Return to Vintage Guitars