Black bobbin pups on a 67 Strat?

Vintage guitars are heaven with 6 or 12 strings for many players. Here you can exchange the tips, the photos and your favorite vintage flavor. Learn how to identify and ask the experts who frequent this forum

Black bobbin pups on a 67 Strat?

Postby steveokla on Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:27 pm

Here's a '67 strat that caught my eye on e bay. I recently picked-up a '68 (big year for me) at a guitar show that I've truly fallen in love with, but I'm considering adding one other strat--something with black bobbin pups. Of course, anything dead straight with those pups means pre-CBS and insane money, so I'm watching for something compromised: rout, refin, etc. In short, looking for a player's version.

Anyway, this '67 popped up on e bay--don't know what it'll eventually go for, but what got my attention are the black bobbin pups. I know Fender was notorious for just using whatever parts came out of the bin when putting these together, so it's not unusual to find '66 pots in a '69, etc., but is that so with pups? '67 seems pretty late in the day to find anything but grey bobbins, doesn't it? Like to hear from the experts. Here's the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1967-Fender-Stratoc ... 19c1bdb1b4
steveokla
Baron

Re: Black bobbin pups on a 67 Strat?

Postby 11068 on Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:12 pm

actually Steve you can find black bobbins all the way to 1968 ;)
looking back at 69 makes me realize Im not getting any younger
Page

Return to Vintage Guitars