Pickup output values--need a primer

Vintage guitars are heaven with 6 or 12 strings for many players. Here you can exchange the tips, the photos and your favorite vintage flavor. Learn how to identify and ask the experts who frequent this forum

Pickup output values--need a primer

Postby steveokla on Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:40 am

I'm looking at a couple guitars--70 Tele and 73 Tele Thinline--and was wondering about pickup values, which the dealers happen to provide. That seems to me to be useful information , but , truth be told, I really have no clue what these values represent or what they should be. For instance, on the 70 tele, the bridge pup output is 5.88, and the neck pup 6.78. Is this as it should be, good, bad, balanced, too unbalanced?

I was hoping some knowleadgeable forum member might off a primer on the subject. Thanks, Steveokla
steveokla
Baron

Re: Pickup output values--need a primer

Postby Easto on Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:45 am

The specs they are giving you are the DC resistance of the pickups. In theory a higher DC resistant pickup should sound louder. But note that the difference between the 2 numbers you're talking about here are pretty close. I wouldn't expect much of a differnce.

I like to check the resistance at the output jack. Just plug your cable into the guitar, turn the volume and tone pots all the way up and connect an ohm meter to the positive and negative sides of the cable (sleeve and tip). Then just flip the pickup selector switch to the position/pickup you want to test.
Easto
Certified

Postby steveokla on Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:03 am

Easto wrote:The specs they are giving you are the DC resistance of the pickups. In theory a higher DC resistant pickup should sound louder. But note that the difference between the 2 numbers you're talking about here are pretty close. I wouldn't expect much of a differnce.

I like to check the resistance at the output jack. Just plug your cable into the guitar, turn the volume and tone pots all the way up and connect an ohm meter to the positive and negative sides of the cable (sleeve and tip). Then just flip the pickup selector switch to the position/pickup you want to test.

Thanks much. I won't actually get to check the guitar as you suggest, however. I know it's
No t much to go on, but do these values sound like they are where they generally ought to be?
steveokla
Baron

Postby Easto on Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:34 am

I can't say exactly for those years and models but they are in the range.

Take a look at the chart about 3/4 down this page...

http://home.provide.net/~cfh/pickups.html

...The "Ohms" column
Easto
Certified

Return to Vintage Guitars