Did Gibson return to nickel hardware on the SG in the 70's?

Vintage guitars are heaven with 6 or 12 strings for many players. Here you can exchange the tips, the photos and your favorite vintage flavor. Learn how to identify and ask the experts who frequent this forum

Did Gibson return to nickel hardware on the SG in the 70's?

Postby steveokla on Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:09 pm

I've been poking around a little about 70's SG Standards, lately. I'm certain one I saw on e bay from around '74 or so said something about nickel hardware. I know Gibson returned to the original SG look (got rid of the big pick guard that covered everything) in the early 70's, but I don't know whether they also got rid of the chrome hardware. Anybody out there playing 70's who can speak to the changes from the short-lived aberrations of the late 60's? Also, anyone have some insights on the quality of the early-to-mid 70's SG Standards from a player's perspective?
steveokla
Baron

Re: Did Gibson return to nickel hardware on the SG in the 70's?

Postby marantz1300 on Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:58 pm

I have a 76 SG.It is stock and has niclel machineheads with chrome stop tail and bridge. It plays great,low actiom.no buzzing.The tar-backs sound excellent well balanced,not that hot.The build quality is better then the 07 SG Classic I had.Great guitars and higly recomended.Image
marantz1300
Page

Re: Did Gibson return to nickel hardware on the SG in the 70's?

Postby steveokla on Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:38 pm

marantz1300 wrote:I have a 76 SG.It is stock and has niclel machineheads with chrome stop tail and bridge. It plays great,low actiom.no buzzing.The tar-backs sound excellent well balanced,not that hot.The build quality is better then the 07 SG Classic I had.Great guitars and higly recomended.Image

Thanks very much for the input--that's just the sort of info I was hoping for. Regards, Steve
steveokla
Baron

Return to Vintage Guitars