Mustang bridge on Jaguar

Vintage guitars are heaven with 6 or 12 strings for many players. Here you can exchange the tips, the photos and your favorite vintage flavor. Learn how to identify and ask the experts who frequent this forum

Mustang bridge on Jaguar

Postby Grail Hunter on Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:23 am

Does anybody use a Mustang bridge on a Jaguar or Jazzmaster? I have been thinking of it for a while now in order to prevent the strings from jumping about the furrows.
Any experience?
Grail Hunter
Certified

Re: Mustang bridge on Jaguar

Postby elda on Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:42 pm

YES :!: the mustang bridge is a great upgrade to the stock jazzmaster or jaguar bridge. This will immediately take care of the string jumping off the stock saddle problem. AAMF, you probably don't need to buy a whole new bridge, You can probably just buy the mustang saddles and R/R. That will help save some cabbage. Guitar parts resource has them.
http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/saddles_jagjazz.htm
elda
Court Jester

Postby Grail Hunter on Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:05 pm

Thanks,

Are you sure you can take any Mustang bridge for any Jaguar? Mine's a '63 Fiesta w/matching head stock by the way. It's not exactly a lightweight but then neither am I :cheers:
I will look for a vintage Mustang bridge I guess, not too much cabbage needed to fetch one.
Grail Hunter
Certified

Postby peter horvath on Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:47 am

don't forget the Buzz Stop... http://www.northcoastmusic.com/buzzstop/ - i use one on my '65 jazzmaster w/ no ill effects.
peter horvath
Baron

Postby elda on Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:36 am

Grail Hunter wrote:Thanks,

Are you sure you can take any Mustang bridge for any Jaguar? Mine's a '63 Fiesta w/matching head stock by the way. It's not exactly a lightweight but then neither am I :cheers:
I will look for a vintage Mustang bridge I guess, not too much cabbage needed to fetch one.

Love the matching head stock jags and jm's. My experiences have only been with one MIJ jag and one AVRI JM and I was able to just R/R the saddles w/o having to buy a whole new bridge.
elda
Court Jester

Postby CoryT on Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:21 pm

That should work fine.
CoryT
Court Jester

Postby Pacafeliz on Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:36 pm

having 3 jags and 3 jazzmasters, i use mustang saddles on all of them, i think.
i also use .11s and that should help as well, as thin strings might even pop outta the mustang saddles.

btw, the buzzstop is a great device to remove the rattling, but the vibrato just isn't the same with it on. and i DEPEND on the vibrato! :D

good luck,

Pat.

ps: mind to post some pics in the "offset show-off thread", a few threads down from this one?
oaklandanny too wrote:Pat...
This is way late in posting... but I want to say that she's beautiful, man!!! You are blessed and the world will be a better place because of your little girl. Mark my words... She will live in a better world than we live in now... because she will help change it. God bless!!!!

RIP OaklandDanny, thanks for EVERYTHING! God bless you, always!
Pacafeliz
King

Postby Cobascis on Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:52 am

Sounds good, I have a stang brudge on my jag. I'd HOOOLD off on the buzz stop, sort of removes the plinkiness that makes the guitar so distinctive (IMHO) in the first place.
Cobascis
Peasant

Postby Pacafeliz on Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:55 pm

Cobascis wrote:Sounds good, I have a stang brudge on my jag. I'd HOOOLD off on the buzz stop, sort of removes the plinkiness that makes the guitar so distinctive (IMHO) in the first place.

plus that!
oaklandanny too wrote:Pat...
This is way late in posting... but I want to say that she's beautiful, man!!! You are blessed and the world will be a better place because of your little girl. Mark my words... She will live in a better world than we live in now... because she will help change it. God bless!!!!

RIP OaklandDanny, thanks for EVERYTHING! God bless you, always!
Pacafeliz
King

Postby lewww12 on Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:59 am

When I bought my '64 JM in 1993 this was the bridge it came with.
I was told it was a Mustang bridge.
Works fine, no problems.

lewww12
Certified

Postby Grail Hunter on Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:08 pm

I will post in the offset show off thingy shortly.
I used to have a 65 JM with a really crappy bridge, the saddles kept moving so I had to lock-tite them.. Didn't particularly like the axe anyway, swapped it for a 65 Firebird. :thumbsup:
Grail Hunter
Certified

Return to Vintage Guitars