Ampeg Dan Armstrong ADA6

Vintage guitars are heaven with 6 or 12 strings for many players. Here you can exchange the tips, the photos and your favorite vintage flavor. Learn how to identify and ask the experts who frequent this forum

Ampeg Dan Armstrong ADA6

Postby jerseyboy62 on Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:50 pm

Anyone else have one of these: original, 1998 reissue or 2nd r-i? I have the 1998. Just had it serviced and set up. Damn this is sweet.
jerseyboy62
Peasant

Re: Ampeg Dan Armstrong ADA6

Postby 57lpjr on Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:31 pm

I ended up buying one of the current reissues at a great price off eBay and really like it - especially the neck. It's very easy to play and sounds great!!!
I have more gear than I need...but not as much gear as I want...

"Roll over Woodstock - we won!" & "Music is life, and life is not a business." (Iggy Pop 3/15/10)

"but lately one or two has fully paid their due for working for the clampdown...HAH, Gitalong, Gitalong"

"I believe, believe, believe, that there's better days ahead. I believe, believe, believe, that there's a heaven before I'm dead."

"I'll play for free but I gotta get paid for breaking my s**t down at the end of the night"
57lpjr
Ampmeister

Postby swid on Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:55 am

A guitarist in one of my bands has two of these -- an original ('69) and a reissue -- I forget what year, though. He likes 'em both a lot, but he vastly prefers the original. I think he also had Bill Lawrence make him a custom pickup for these (edit -- it was Kent Armstrong, Dan's son, not Bill Lawrence). These guitars have such a distinct middy sound.
swid
Page

Postby Tibor on Mon May 31, 2010 7:59 pm

i have mine now for a month and i absolutly love it... i always wanted one after i first saw it, first because of the look... now the look becomes secondary because i felt in love with the sound and the sustain...

i had the chance to get a, i think 2008-2009 reissue but with a roller-bridge, instead of the rosewood bridge... for a nearly unbeatable price (i think the seller called it a nearly steal)

...love is orange...
Tibor
Certified

Postby ampegnoob96 on Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:20 pm

does anybody know where i can get some more exchangable pickups for my ada6? ive looked everywhere on the internet. if theres a store, is there one in Kansas City?
ampegnoob96
Peasant

Postby Bigsbyman on Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:58 pm

I have one of the newer reissues, mine has the roller bridge and came with both stock pickups and one custom-ordered PU made by Kent Armstrong (I think). That particular pickup sounds 100% better than the two stock pickups. It sounds like a scatter-wound P90, and I really like it. The bass player in my band has the bass version, and our drummer plays a vintage, clear plexi kit made by Fibes. It's a cool look and a great sound.
'64 JMI Vox AC30 with original alnico blues, '72 JMP 50-watt w/4x12 Greenbacks, '76 Lead & Bass combo (tan 25-watt Celestions), '76 Superlead with TV 4x12 (greenbacks), '78 2204 with Marshall 2x12 cab (Greenbacks), '78 Hylight DR504/SA4123, '79 Fawn 2204 50-watt w/matching Fawn 4x12 (tan 25-watt Celestions), 1970's Marshall 1982AP cabinet (black back 30-watt Celestions), Matchless D/C-30, Traynor, Garnet, Leslie, Bacino, Gibson, Fender, Gretsch, Rickenbacker, Trussart, Dano, Dobro

http://www.timcaseyandthemartyrs.com
Bigsbyman
Squire

Return to Vintage Guitars