Who'd have thunk he would have such a collection..

Vintage guitars are heaven with 6 or 12 strings for many players. Here you can exchange the tips, the photos and your favorite vintage flavor. Learn how to identify and ask the experts who frequent this forum

Who'd have thunk he would have such a collection..

Postby g60_dave on Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:43 pm

Theres me thinking he was just Marilyn Mansons guitarist, but check out this MASSIVE collection of vintage teles :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9TfdIsak1Y
g60_dave
Page

Re: Who'd have thunk he would have such a collection..

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:09 pm

It should never happen to a tele. :twisted:
ImageImageImage

John Lennon/Jimi Hendrix/Jimmy Page Fan
Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Postby 57lpjr on Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:20 pm

He's said in a couple of interviews what a vintage guitar freak he is. I'd do the same thing if I was that talented and had that kind of cake to spend!!! I'd have passed on that 'vette though...
I have more gear than I need...but not as much gear as I want...

"Roll over Woodstock - we won!" & "Music is life, and life is not a business." (Iggy Pop 3/15/10)

"but lately one or two has fully paid their due for working for the clampdown...HAH, Gitalong, Gitalong"

"I believe, believe, believe, that there's better days ahead. I believe, believe, believe, that there's a heaven before I'm dead."

"I'll play for free but I gotta get paid for breaking my s**t down at the end of the night"
57lpjr
Ampmeister

Postby Michael Patrick on Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:55 pm

I was told a story by a guy who works at Dave's Guitar Shop...

John 5 came in to look at Teles. He didn't like any of the Teles Dave had in stock. As a visiting celebrity, he got a tour of Dave's personal collection (which is a woody-inducing mess of gear).

There was a very early Tele (probably a real deal Nocaster or something, I forget the exact model) that caught Mr. 5's eye. He played it for a while, and then asked Dave what it was worth. Dave said "$40,000, but it's not for sale." Mr. 5 offered Dave $60k on the spot. Dave still had to go into his office by himself to think about it for 10 minutes or so.... but he wound up selling it.
The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down
Michael Patrick
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Postby Ginger geezer on Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:33 pm

Wow !!! :shock:
I have 28 guitars and I get pangs of guilt. I suppose he could have put it up his nose like a lot of his contempories. :lol:
Ginger geezer
Peasant

Postby rocco on Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:48 am

i don't care if Leo Fender carved the body, neck , cast all the hardware, wound the pickups, soldered it, painted it, built the case for it, and spit polished it then delivered it to the retail store himself, NO guitar is worth $135,000.oo, i pretty much think anything over $1,000.oo is nutty, new or vintage, a few years from now, people wont be able to afford an even 1/4 of the way decent instrument to enjoy :(
You're gonna need a bigger boat.
rocco
Knight

Postby Grail Hunter on Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:41 am

I'd like to see more of that custom colored Firebird III .
Don't like the fact that he collects mint condition vintage teles. That isn't exactly in line with the Manson affectation
(or shall I call it masquerade?).

:bucket_head:
Grail Hunter
Certified

Postby g60_dave on Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:39 am

Grail Hunter wrote:I'd like to see more of that custom colored Firebird III .
Don't like the fact that he collects mint condition vintage teles. That isn't exactly in line with the Manson affectation
(or shall I call it masquerade?).

:bucket_head:

He only played with Brain for a very short perid, but it seems everyone associates them together. I even heard someone say he wrote sweet dreams! Written by dave stewart and recorded by MM about 6 years before he joined the group!

A great great session musician with more credits that most. And quickly rising up my favourite guitarist list
g60_dave
Page

Postby pckpat on Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:32 pm

and his gf is aria giovanni :P
"Who does not work,is heavy to the earth" (Albanian proverb)
"Vision without action,is a dream-Action without vision is a nightmare"-(Japanese saying)
pckpat
Emperor

Postby brian817 on Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:01 am

that was an insane collection. wow.
I never would have thought he collected those.
but, I also haven't read anything about him, as I stopped reading guitar mags years ago. the only thing I knew about him was that he played with MM, and he had a signature line tele.

I never owned a real Tele until last year when I found a modified '06 Nashville deluxe model with a Bigsby installed on it and couldn't pass it up. In the late '90s I had a black and red Antares tele copy, but never really liked or played it and sold it on ebay years ago.

A few months ago I decided to build a Tele plus copy, like Jonny Greenwood's from Radiohead and should have that back next week.

Last year, I also traded for an '81 Fender Bullet USA that I really like more than I thought I would.
brian817
Court Jester

Postby Strat59 on Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:32 pm

Before Manson he a top touring guitar slinger for hire. Has jammed with Les Paul and many other top line players. Very much a Vintage Guitar
guy. But I still think that Fender John 5 Tele is UGLY. Better he spend his $$$ on vintage guitars than shoot it up or snort it away. :thumbsup:
"Blues players don't mess around with a guitar, they hit the bloody thing"........ Rory Gallagher
Strat59
Baron

Return to Vintage Guitars