Eko Guitars?

Vintage guitars are heaven with 6 or 12 strings for many players. Here you can exchange the tips, the photos and your favorite vintage flavor. Learn how to identify and ask the experts who frequent this forum

Eko Guitars?

Postby I am new on Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:51 am

Anyone ever heard of Eko guitars? I've been liking the look of the Eko Dragon, but was wondering what if they were decent guitars at all or if anyone had any information on them because I can't find anything.
I am new
Page

Re: Eko Guitars?

Postby MrBoZiffer on Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:07 pm

All I know is that they are an obscure Italian maker from the 60's... they may still make some today, I'm not sure. This clothing store here in Birmingham has several of them as "art". :lol:

This may help... http://www.fetishguitars.com/index/eko.html

They're pretty nifty looking.
MrBoZiffer
Certified

Postby Peteyvee on Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:33 pm

I used to have one of their acoustic guitars when I was a kid. It was made in Italy, probably in the 60's and sounded really good. IIRC, it was a solid top, not plywood and very well made. I don't know anything about their electrics or newer production guitars. Maybe one of the Italian members would have more info. I'd try Off Topic Lounge and put a link to this thread. :D
"The problem with kids today is that their hair's too short and their music isn't loud enough." -Peteyvee
"It's not the notes you play, it's the notes you don't play." -Miles Davis
Peteyvee
Keeper of the Shrub

Postby The Golden Boy on Thu May 07, 2009 8:28 pm

Eko were Italian made instruments. Their sole importer in the US was the LoDuca brothers in Milwaukee.

Years ago, the LoDoca brothers had a music store in their building in Downtown Milwaukee- walking into the building, you're transported to the 1930s- an old art-deco building. Anyway, in the music store there were walls covered with Ekos. There was also stuff like Ampeg flip tops and other things that were INSANELY overpriced- especially at the time. One of the sales guy told me there were "thousands" of Ekos in the basement. Evidently they weren't big sellers- even with the Standells as their big endorsers...

Whether there actually were "thousands" of those Ekos in the basement and they've managed to unload 40 year old guitars... I don't know. For a long time, Ekos were really common around here. You could probably get in contact with the LoDuca brothers company and see if any of them were left...
*Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*

"Who are you, and how did you get in here?"

"I'm a locksmith, and... I'm a locksmith."
The Golden Boy
Squire

Postby The Golden Boy on Thu May 07, 2009 8:37 pm

Peteyvee wrote:I used to have one of their acoustic guitars when I was a kid. It was made in Italy, probably in the 60's and sounded really good. IIRC, it was a solid top, not plywood and very well made. I don't know anything about their electrics or newer production guitars. Maybe one of the Italian members would have more info. I'd try Off Topic Lounge and put a link to this thread. :D

Pete Ham from Badfinger used an Eko acoustic...

*Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*

"Who are you, and how did you get in here?"

"I'm a locksmith, and... I'm a locksmith."
The Golden Boy
Squire

Postby hardus on Tue May 12, 2009 2:53 pm

Here in Europe Eko is a very common brand of budget guitars.
hardus
Peasant

Postby greg on Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:22 am

I've played a few of the acoustics and I seem to remember them being very heavy, with a bolt on neck, unusual for an acoustic....
1960-1 pre-Loc AC30/6 Black Panel NTB Head in NCM Cab
2x12 closed back cab with "Blues" in original Cab
A copy of "Vox - The JMI Years"
Zoom GFX 8
Westone Thunder IA
Westone Thunder III

http://www.youtube.com/user/oGJWo
http://www.youtube.com/user/RoomwithaViewmusic
greg
Page

Postby geoff_bell on Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:57 am

brandoni in england claims to have bought up warehouses of old eko parts (as well as italian-made vox parts). www.brandoniguitars.co.uk
geoff_bell
Knight

Postby greengod on Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:21 pm

Eko was an italian brand of acoustic and electric guitars, active at least from the early '60s until the '90s. I'm not sure if it exists anymore. Anyway, it was based in Recanati, in the central part of Italy, the same town which gave birth to Giacomo Leopardi, our biggest and most influential romantic poet. The Eko's however didn't sing as Leopardi's poems, if you know what I mean: the acoustic were quite good but the electrics were - for the most part - "entry level" instruments, for beginners. My first electric actually was an Eko, a Stratocaster copy (for the shape of the body) with two humbuckers. It was just right for my level of playing in 1981, really poor. In the late '80s they had a "top of the line" electric guitar with an original design but it wasn't a success. In the 60's on the other hand thier electrics were quite common among italian "beat" groups.
"Without music, life would be a mistake" (F. Nietzsche).

www.soundclick.com/bluesbox
http://www.myspace.com/samandthebluesbox
greengod
Knight

Postby Soundkeeper on Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:16 am

I still have a EKO 12 str. accu. from the 60's. Its not a very sounding guitar, but its a good player bacause of a good neck. In 1967 it was "bucks for the money" here in Europe (Norway). And, as refered Brandoni Guitars in UK have the spare parts and also new EKO's.
Soundkeeper
Peasant

Postby jerseyboy62 on Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:42 pm

I have a D'Agostino Benchmark made by Eko in thw late 70's. Its a rather high end instrument for the time. Eko made them well into the 80's as the M-20 and M-24.
http://www.fetishguitars.com/html/eko/index/05finalyears.html The through neck design, inlay and overall workmanship is quite impressive in this series by Eko.
jerseyboy62
Peasant

Postby gypsy moth on Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:28 am

my first guitAR was a 3 pickup silver sparkle EKO. with the internet I later found that a Kink played one - at least often enough to get a picture taken.

the Benchmark :cheers:
I have a proto/show no sn D'Agostino, likely made by the Daion people. at least that's my best guess.
http://www.myspace.com/gmothmusic

2002 live from the globe of death, 2004 a collection of favorite spanish love songs, 2007 the tomb of the deaf, 2009 killing it in a bad way
gypsy moth
King

Postby jerseyboy62 on Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:36 am

gypsy moth wrote:my first guitAR was a 3 pickup silver sparkle EKO. with the internet I later found that a Kink played one - at least often enough to get a picture taken.

the Benchmark :cheers:
I have a proto/show no sn D'Agostino, likely made by the Daion people. at least that's my best guess.

PICS?
jerseyboy62
Peasant

Postby gypsy moth on Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:36 am

on the link under music stuff.

none of the EKO though - that was a long time ago.
http://www.myspace.com/gmothmusic

2002 live from the globe of death, 2004 a collection of favorite spanish love songs, 2007 the tomb of the deaf, 2009 killing it in a bad way
gypsy moth
King

Postby jerseyboy62 on Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:05 pm

gypsy moth wrote:on the link under music stuff.

none of the EKO though - that was a long time ago.

That looks like a Daion era to me for sure...

Funny thing...The pic of a D'ag headstock on the Jedistar website is my guitar. They must have swiped it from either facebook for myspace. no worries, I glad.
jerseyboy62
Peasant

Next

Return to Vintage Guitars