HELP ID this old KAY solidbody...

Vintage guitars are heaven with 6 or 12 strings for many players. Here you can exchange the tips, the photos and your favorite vintage flavor. Learn how to identify and ask the experts who frequent this forum

HELP ID this old KAY solidbody...

Postby Pacafeliz on Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:42 am

a friend is selling this, and man it sure looks... ehm... interesting. :-\

any idea on what model that thing is? any good?
thanks!

Pat.
oaklandanny too wrote:Pat...
This is way late in posting... but I want to say that she's beautiful, man!!! You are blessed and the world will be a better place because of your little girl. Mark my words... She will live in a better world than we live in now... because she will help change it. God bless!!!!

RIP OaklandDanny, thanks for EVERYTHING! God bless you, always!
Pacafeliz
King

Re: HELP ID this old KAY solidbody...

Postby firebirdjake on Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:05 pm

I am not sure about the model name/number but am very curious about the wiring/switching in it. Some of these have just the STRANGEST wiring schemes going on in them, there's one around now with the same inlay pattern & 2 pups which defies description but I'll try anyhow. The switch shorts out the rhythm pu in what you would think is the rhythm position, the mid position is lead pu w rhy pu through a big ugly capacitor, the other position is both pickups through big ugly capacitors. Sorry to get so technical but I only saw the insides 'cuz someone thought the rhythm pup was dead. Not dead just misunderstood ! Good luck with your quest.
Sua cuique voluptas

"What's polarity mean?" Quoth the "sound man" at a gig 11-16- 2012

Don't die with the Music in You!
firebirdjake
Knight

Location: Betwixt the plank and the earschplittenloudenboomer.

Postby minderbinder on Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:54 pm

Couldn't say, but I have one from the same series... only two pickups*, 2 sets of knobs, toggle switch in place of the rotary, simple wooden bridge and fixed tailpiece, lacking the 'fancy' position markers and neck binding. Same body & headstock shapes, same pickups, same color. Nice, funky tone. Not very loud though. Neck's kind of chunky, strikes me as more of an acoustic guitar neck. Mine's missing the headstock badge and I only very recently figured out that it IS a Kay, based on some low-res scans I saw from Kay catalogs of 1965/1966.

* I should say it ORIGINALLY had two... now only one. It's been modified in a few other ways, and will continue to be modded. It's always been an experimenter's mule. Interesting to see one in original, good-quality trim.

Did you buy it?

ddk
minderbinder
Peasant

Postby Pacafeliz on Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:36 pm

nope... :(

but thanks! they sure are cool!
rock on,

Pat.
oaklandanny too wrote:Pat...
This is way late in posting... but I want to say that she's beautiful, man!!! You are blessed and the world will be a better place because of your little girl. Mark my words... She will live in a better world than we live in now... because she will help change it. God bless!!!!

RIP OaklandDanny, thanks for EVERYTHING! God bless you, always!
Pacafeliz
King

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:35 am

Looking around for info on that and came across this site:

http://www.myrareguitars.com/1960guitars.html

If you like weirdo 60's no name axes, this is the place. :cheers:
ImageImageImage

John Lennon/Jimi Hendrix/Jimmy Page Fan
Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Return to Vintage Guitars