Who does the very best re-fret?

Vintage guitars are heaven with 6 or 12 strings for many players. Here you can exchange the tips, the photos and your favorite vintage flavor. Learn how to identify and ask the experts who frequent this forum

Re: Who does the very best re-fret?

Postby 74 Strat on Sat May 01, 2010 2:40 am

The 12th fret in Portland Oregon is great. I had my 74 Strat done and it came out great. I will tell you though that they wanted to shave my fret board so that they could change the radius from 7.5 to 10. I asked them to put tall frets and dress them to a 10 radius. They were able to make it 9.5. The thing plays a feels great. The fret board is curved but the frets are flat. I would recommend having whoever works on it dress the frets to a better radius. It frets out when bending with the 7'd radius. With the 9.5 I can bend 2 steps without any troubles...Dean
74 Strat
Peasant

Postby AC50 on Wed May 05, 2010 5:47 am

madstrat wrote:have you considered a new neck?

store the old one as all original/ beat up the new one;

yes tone will be a little different...either +/-...

That'd be my choice.
AC50
Emperor

Postby jmp2204 on Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:06 pm

Don't know if you've already had it done, but I had a very similar situation with my '74 Strat and a guy named Dave Bush here in Columbus, OH, did a phenomenal job of refretting it. It had very low frets and I did not want the board refinished. He put in Dunlop 6105 frets and a new nut, setup, etc. It plays unbelievably well now and has every bit of the true relic vibe it always had. Very reasonable and a quick turnaround, too. If you want, PM for his number.
jon
Could you repeat that?
jmp2204
Squire

Postby steveokla on Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:09 pm

Thanks! I'll check it out. Regards, Steve
steveokla
Baron

Previous

Return to Vintage Guitars