Who does the very best re-fret?

Vintage guitars are heaven with 6 or 12 strings for many players. Here you can exchange the tips, the photos and your favorite vintage flavor. Learn how to identify and ask the experts who frequent this forum

Who does the very best re-fret?

Postby steveokla on Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:28 pm

I have a '73 strat I'm very fond of, white (faded yellow, of course) with a maple board. It's all original, including the frets, and while this is great for the collector, fact is the low frets are wearing me out and I play this guitar a bunch. Bottom line is, though I realize it will devalue the guitar some, I bought it to play and would like to have some bigger frets (haven't quite decided on which just yet), but, again, I'm really fond of this guitar and want it done right. I'm given to understand that chip-out can be an issue with maple boards. Can anyone recommend a luthier who is a master at this?? Thanks, Steveokla
steveokla
Baron

Re: Who does the very best re-fret?

Postby Banker on Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:08 pm

Price reduction for a good refret.........deduct a dime. It's pretty much seen as an essential, but needs to be done well.

Who's the best? I'd say in the US it's either Chris Mirabella or Dave Johnson..........but expect to wait in the queue for a LONG time.
When only pinstripe will do.
Banker
Squire

Postby pcosmo on Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:47 pm

Jim Lombard in Santa Barbara.....email me for phone #....Pete
pcosenza@west.net
"I appreciate any group that will have me as a member"
http://www.petecosenza.com/
pcosmo
Page

Postby cyanidegold on Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:10 pm

In Arizona I would say precision guitar. Jim, the owner is a super nice and reasonable.
cyanidegold
Certified

Postby Peteyvee on Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:06 pm

John Carruthers in Venice, CA. http://www.carruthersguitars.com. But that strat in your avatar still looks like a tele to me! :lol:
"The problem with kids today is that their hair's too short and their music isn't loud enough." -Peteyvee
"It's not the notes you play, it's the notes you don't play." -Miles Davis
Peteyvee
Keeper of the Shrub

Postby Dave Volume on Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:09 pm

chip-out on these fender necks might be attributed to the fact that fender used to tap in their frets from the side as opposed to from the top.
Dave Volume
Page

Postby madstrat on Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:30 pm

have you considered a new neck?

store the old one as all original/ beat up the new one;

yes tone will be a little different...either +/-...
madstrat
Knight

Postby 57lpjr on Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:41 pm

Have you considered having it "plek'd"? I've heard great things about the process...I just did a quick search (plek fret job) to verify the spelling and it came up with some cool info...
I have more gear than I need...but not as much gear as I want...

"Roll over Woodstock - we won!" & "Music is life, and life is not a business." (Iggy Pop 3/15/10)

"but lately one or two has fully paid their due for working for the clampdown...HAH, Gitalong, Gitalong"

"I believe, believe, believe, that there's better days ahead. I believe, believe, believe, that there's a heaven before I'm dead."

"I'll play for free but I gotta get paid for breaking my s**t down at the end of the night"
57lpjr
Ampmeister

Postby gemmill on Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:41 pm

www.burnsrepair.com

he's located in birmingham, al. i've moved to nyc, but i would still have him do anything bigger than a basic setup. he is truly gifted and you can sense the love he has for his craft when you get your instrument back.
gemmill
Knight

Postby MrBoZiffer on Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:45 pm

gemmill wrote:http://www.burnsrepair.com

he's located in birmingham, al. i've moved to nyc, but i would still have him do anything bigger than a basic setup. he is truly gifted and you can sense the love he has for his craft when you get your instrument back.

+a billion. Jason is refretting my 61 Jazzmaster right now. He's a good guy and knows his stuff. I love going in and talking to him. He'd be worth it.
MrBoZiffer
Certified

Postby steveokla on Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:48 pm

Do you happen to know if he 'pleks'?
steveokla
Baron

Postby gemmill on Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:08 am

steveokla wrote:Do you happen to know if he 'pleks'?

he doesn't.
i think pleks make sense for a large manufacturer who needs to ensure a better 'average' quality against hundreds or thousands of identical guitars, but not for vintage or custom instruments.
gemmill
Knight

Postby Peteyvee on Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:46 am

gemmill wrote:
steveokla wrote:Do you happen to know if he 'pleks'?

he doesn't.
i think pleks make sense for a large manufacturer who needs to ensure a better 'average' quality against hundreds or thousands of identical guitars, but not for vintage or custom instruments.

The way I understand the way the Plek process works, the primary purpose is to measure "playabilty" and insure accurate intonation in a new or less played instrument under actual string tension via computer analysis. Then a virtual 3D model is created and the work begins: i.e nut adjustment, fret shaving, etc. If your Strat plays well (to you), sounds good and plays in tune, my opinion is don't mess with it.

BTW: There is a nearby dealer who has just started offer the Plek "Pro" service. When I asked about it the other day, their guitar tech, whom I have known for years told me "If your guitar sounds good, plays in tune and plays well, no Plek'ing should be necessary. Did you buy a new guitar or something?" Just my :2cents:
"The problem with kids today is that their hair's too short and their music isn't loud enough." -Peteyvee
"It's not the notes you play, it's the notes you don't play." -Miles Davis
Peteyvee
Keeper of the Shrub

Postby steveokla on Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:24 pm

Makes sense--thanks for the very useful input. Kindest regards, Steve
steveokla
Baron

Postby dfenderbender on Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:02 pm

Not being an expert at anything, I submit my opinion anyway:
Refretting and "Plekking" are independent of each other.
If you get a refret, the tech will, of course set-up the guitar as part of the job.
"Plekking" however, is a computer automated set-up and fret dressing. The beauty of "Plek" technology is that the tolerance of the metrics is well beyond even the best luthiers tools and skill set ( and probably closer tolerances than your fingers need)
What sold me was trying out the owners "Squire" strat demo, it played unbelievably well. I have had a Tele and a Reverend (set neck) "plekked" with very good results.
If you are getting a refret, I would suggest waiting until you try out the repair, as a good luthier will most likely have it in very playable condition. If not, he (she) should be both obliged and willing to make it right for your playing style. As a last resort, you could take it to have it Plekked.
Those Plek shops can (for a fee, of course) run a diagnostic "footprint" of your guitar, and then discuss with you their findings and recommendations.
BTW, I have a several older ( and quite valuable) electric guitars that need some work, but I have not convinced myself to have them Plekked yet. I also have a couple of nice acoustics, but I think that falls way outside of my comfort zone.
The technology is sound, but I have these nightmares about someone pushing the wrong button, and watching the Plek Monster devour the finger board.
I don't know what your threshold is, but I set my limit at any guitar worth over 1,000 bucks ( until I see more results).
the guy that did my guitars is: www.crossroadsguitarshop.com
ktf
ktf
dfenderbender
Peasant

Next

Return to Vintage Guitars