Vintage Orpheum No. 1

Vintage guitars are heaven with 6 or 12 strings for many players. Here you can exchange the tips, the photos and your favorite vintage flavor. Learn how to identify and ask the experts who frequent this forum

Vintage Orpheum No. 1

Postby MarkSy5 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:52 pm

I have this old guitar from my grandparents and I can't seem to find out any information about it. The head of the guitar says Orpheum No. 1 ... the only Orpheum no. 1's I can find on google are banjos but this is a guitar. Does anyone know anything about it? The condition isn't great but I just wanted to find out more information about it like if it was rare.... or just a piece of junk. Wondering if it is worth anything or if it is even worth getting it fixed up.

Thank you for anyone who responds!

MarkSy5
Peasant

Re: Vintage Orpheum No. 1

Postby Stinkfoot on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:10 am

It could be an old Sears and Roebuck piece but it has a very nice tiger stripe maple back and front.Maybe you should check if it is solid wood or laminate. My guess is that it is solid in which case you have the basis of a beautiful archtop acoustic that if it were mine I should get a luthier to bring it back to life and maybe even put a floating pick up on it.
This could be a Jazz monster !
Stinkfoot
Squire

Postby Unit_1 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:25 am

Stinkfoot wrote:It could be an old Sears and Roebuck piece but it has a very nice tiger stripe maple back and front.Maybe you should check if it is solid wood or laminate. My guess is that it is solid in which case you have the basis of a beautiful archtop acoustic that if it were mine I should get a luthier to bring it back to life and maybe even put a floating pick up on it.
This could be a Jazz monster !

NO! NO!

it's a piece of crap

you should send it to me!!!!

i'll pay the freight and throw in five bucks for your trouble :mrgreen:

seriously, tho, that's a beautiful piece - by all means send it to stu-mac for a thorough overhaul...
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby Unit_1 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:29 am

almost forgot

welcome to the forum MarkSy5!!!!
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Return to Vintage Guitars