Brazilian Rosewood BAN?

Vintage guitars are heaven with 6 or 12 strings for many players. Here you can exchange the tips, the photos and your favorite vintage flavor. Learn how to identify and ask the experts who frequent this forum

Brazilian Rosewood BAN?

Postby Rasmus-Skov on Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:25 am

Hey Guys.

I'm quite close buying an old Jazzmaster (1960) in the US, but I'm curious if there is any trouble taking the guitar back to Europe?

It has the brazilian rosewood, but isn't it just wood harvested AFTER 1992?

ATB
RASMUS
Rasmus-Skov
Certified

Re: Brazilian Rosewood BAN?

Postby SGM1968 on Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:08 pm

I've bought several 60's Strats & 60's necks from the USA over the past few years & never had any problems with the fact that the fret boards are Brazillian Rosewood. (I'm in England)

Even if the ban on it is enforced in your country then it will not apply as te item was manufactured using Brazillian Rosewood prior to its ban!

I know that it is a hot issue in Japan & before sending any guitar with Brazillian Rosewood on it there you have to make a declaration of age & manufacture! A friend of mine sold a 62 Jazz Bass to a Japanese customer & allthough it got there & through customs fine the paperwork he had to obtain from the Japanese embassy was a pain to fill out - or so he said!
SGM1968
Court Jester

Re: Brazilian Rosewood BAN?

Postby Strat59 on Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:00 am

No trouble at all. As long as you describe it on the Customs Forms as Used Electric Guitar they have no issue with it. :thumbsup:
"Blues players don't mess around with a guitar, they hit the bloody thing"........ Rory Gallagher
Strat59
Baron

Return to Vintage Guitars