Gibson Firebird Non Reverse

Vintage guitars are heaven with 6 or 12 strings for many players. Here you can exchange the tips, the photos and your favorite vintage flavor. Learn how to identify and ask the experts who frequent this forum

Gibson Firebird Non Reverse

Postby nullard on Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:27 pm

Hello guys,

I am currently considering "doing something" with/to my beloved 2002 CS Non Reverse FB- 3 mini HBs but can't make up my mind what.

Option A-
1- refinish -any TV-white enthusiasts in the room??. I remember finding these breathtaking pics on a forum:

2- Why not change the configuration from 3 pus to 2 + add a lyre vibrola. But, even though I love the look I fear the impact of it on the playability/ tuning of the guitar, I really hit my strings hard most of time... Any thoughts on this?? It'd basically look like this except for the chrome hardware:

3- Change bridge pu for something better. I have a Lollar bridge in my main Firebird V and it's just great. I've also heard very good things about Duncan Aniquity II. What about Curtis Novak's?

Option B- Sell the CS and buy this 1965 below. Only thing is p90's... I dig minis + oh!poor fretboard... But the price's decent €2200/$2900 and not far from where I live...

What option would go for?

Thanks!
if it's too loud, you're too old!
nullard
Certified

Re: Gibson Firebird Non Reverse

Postby Bigsbyman on Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:59 am

I have a '65 nonreverse FB with 3 P90 pickups. It sounds AMAZING, and I think I love the tone of those P90's better than the tone of my '50's LP Jr's. I used it on all the rhythm tracks for my last EP, through a '72 Marshall 50-watt and greenbacks. Refer to the "you should know" thread in the Marshall forum for a link to where you can download my EP for free and hear what that guitar sounds like. It's the opening guitar on the title track. I also have a pair of reverse Firebird VII's with mini humbuckers. They also sound amazing; those PUP's are very toneful. They were my main guitar for years.

If you decide to get the 65, don't change a thing on it. Keep the P90's in it, they sound great. If you are tired of the color of your guitar, I say sell it. You'll spend a lot of money, or a lot of your time, to strip and refinish it. You'll also reduce the value of it, which is a net loss of money (which you can always get more of, and time - which you can't). Buy something you love and move on.
'64 JMI Vox AC30 with original alnico blues, '72 JMP 50-watt w/4x12 Greenbacks, '76 Lead & Bass combo (tan 25-watt Celestions), '76 Superlead with TV 4x12 (greenbacks), '78 2204 with Marshall 2x12 cab (Greenbacks), '78 Hylight DR504/SA4123, '79 Fawn 2204 50-watt w/matching Fawn 4x12 (tan 25-watt Celestions), 1970's Marshall 1982AP cabinet (black back 30-watt Celestions), Matchless D/C-30, Traynor, Garnet, Leslie, Bacino, Gibson, Fender, Gretsch, Rickenbacker, Trussart, Dano, Dobro

http://www.timcaseyandthemartyrs.com
Bigsbyman
Squire

Postby Pacafeliz on Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:58 pm

i think it's PERFECT the way it is... :drool:

better sell it and buy one you like... like that '65. most AMAZINGLY HOT firebird i've EVER seen.
yes i like 'em roughed up.

my 2 cents.
good luck, let us know what you do!

Pat.
oaklandanny too wrote:Pat...
This is way late in posting... but I want to say that she's beautiful, man!!! You are blessed and the world will be a better place because of your little girl. Mark my words... She will live in a better world than we live in now... because she will help change it. God bless!!!!

RIP OaklandDanny, thanks for EVERYTHING! God bless you, always!
Pacafeliz
King

Postby nullard on Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:40 pm

Hey guys,

Sorry I was off the thread for quite a while. Well I got big news for you as I'm now the proud owner of fairly rare 1965 Firebird Non Reverse VII!

Not that cheap, but still not crazy expensive, and an INCREDIBLE :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: INCREDIBLE :shock: :shock: :shock: guitar!
All original, all original three minis sound absolutely great, the lyre vibrola is super cool and doesn't affect the tuning of the guitar one bit.

Enough talkings, I'm back to playing now. Frankly this is the one, period, I'm done with guitar quests.

Vintage guitars, that's it.
if it's too loud, you're too old!
nullard
Certified

Postby LAMF on Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:46 pm

I am lucky enough to have a 66 IVERNESS GREEN with lyre maestro on it with twin P-90's

I would post a pic of it but my external hard drive was left at the recording studio.
Though your ax seems to have gave it's all and is in a nice relic'd condition I MO I woulld just do the best cleaning job I could.
Belwo are a few pics of a CS TV WHITE 2002 NON Reverse I bought and quuickly got rid of after getting the Iverness greeen one.

I like the color but think the Phelam Blue is gorgeous. and the values will go down as ya know

Here's some pic that may help ya decide.... BTW I HATED this witht he 3 pups I also felt like I was playing in the wrong place and kept hitting the 3 way...now with the two pups I love it and feel as if I have more control plus ya can;t beat the tone of older wood.

Hope tha helps ya

LAMF

Ya Can't put your arms around a memory.....
LAMF
Peasant

Postby Pacafeliz on Fri May 04, 2012 6:20 am

nullard wrote:Hey guys,

Sorry I was off the thread for quite a while. Well I got big news for you as I'm now the proud owner of fairly rare 1965 Firebird Non Reverse VII!

Not that cheap, but still not crazy expensive, and an INCREDIBLE :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: INCREDIBLE :shock: :shock: :shock: guitar!
All original, all original three minis sound absolutely great, the lyre vibrola is super cool and doesn't affect the tuning of the guitar one bit.

Enough talkings, I'm back to playing now. Frankly this is the one, period, I'm done with guitar quests.

so... did you get the used/abused one from the pics above!!!
YES?!!! YES???!!! :drool:
oaklandanny too wrote:Pat...
This is way late in posting... but I want to say that she's beautiful, man!!! You are blessed and the world will be a better place because of your little girl. Mark my words... She will live in a better world than we live in now... because she will help change it. God bless!!!!

RIP OaklandDanny, thanks for EVERYTHING! God bless you, always!
Pacafeliz
King

Postby LAMF on Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:14 pm

Pacafeliz wrote:
nullard wrote:Hey guys,

so... did you get the used/abused one from the pics above!!!
YES?!!! YES???!!! :drool:

i MUST AGREEE WITH YOU....

HAVING SOLD OFF ABOUT 30 GUITARS ALL LATE80[S TO NEW WERE RECETNLY LET GO OIN ONE HUGE DEAL..... I AHEV FOUND I AM ALWAYS CHASING THAT vINTAGE SOUND AND BOTTOM LINEIS IT TAKESD old wood< old amps< old cords AND OLD TECHNIQUES TOGET THAT vINTAGE SOUND.

sINCE DOING SO I HAVE GRABBED A FEW GREAT VINTAGE PEICES.... A 63 ES345, 1960 LES PAUL SPECIAL BUT MY FAVORITE OF THE RECENT PURCHASES WAS 1968 LESPAUL CUSTOM.....IS NATUAL ( RARE) ALL ORIGINAL EXCEPT ONE POT CHANGE BUT AT LEAST IT WAS REPLCED WITH A PERIOD CORRECT ONE.

NOTHING AT ALL GIVES YOU THE SOUND OF AN OLDER AX AND BACK THEN LET;S BE HINEST THEY WERE BUILT WITH INTEGRITY , DIGNITY AND EACH LUTHIER WAS PROUD TO PUT HIS NAME IN EM.

mY COLLECTION IS DOWN TO 19 GUITARS NOW OF WHICH ALLBUT 4 ARE vINTAGE.....SINCE MOST OF MY GIGGING DAYS ARE OVER OR IF I DO GIG THERE ARE PLENTY OF SECURITY AND I DONL;T BRING 3-4 AX;S SO I CAN KEEP MY EYESON ONE AX INSTEAD OF A FEW.

i THINK YOUR CHOICE TO GO VINTAGE IS GREAT....... WANNA FIND OUT SOMETHING THAT WILL BLOW YA AWAY??????

IF YA HAVE A GIBBY WITH P-90'S IN IT SOMEHWRE TRY TO FIND A p-13 IN GOOD CONDITION AND POP IT IN THERE....wow

i GUESS THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THE BLADE STYLE MAGNET VS... THE MOVEABLE POLES BUT A P-13 IN A LESPAUL JR BODY WILL BLOW YA AWAY.

I JUST FOUND A SECOND MINT ONE STILL IN COSMOLINE PAPER AND GOTIT FOR LESS THAN A NEW P-90....SO NOW WITH TWO ON THE SEHLF NEXT TIME I DO A SET UP ON MY SG SPECIAL I'LL TRY REPLACING THISE PUPS WITH P-13'S JUST TO SEE WHAT THE DIFFERENCE IS.

SORRY BOUT THE CAPS JUST HAD SURGERY N HAVING HARD TIME SEEING EVEN WITH SCREEN AT 150% !!!!

LAMF

Ya Can't put your arms around a memory.....
LAMF
Peasant

Postby SWLABR on Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:21 am

I am selling my 1965 3 pick-up Frost Blue Non Reverse, wish I had seen this thread :(
67' 100W SuperBass U.S.
68' 100W SuperBass
68' 4x12 100 Cabinet 1982A

"...like two refrigerators hooked together...."
SWLABR
Squire

Postby Stinkfoot on Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:01 pm

SWLABR wrote:I am selling my 1965 3 pick-up Frost Blue Non Reverse, wish I had seen this thread :(

How many notes do you require for one to take possession of the beast ?
Stinkfoot
Squire

Return to Vintage Guitars