SA212 Deep Cleaning

DR103, DR103OL, DR504, DR504OL, DR103S (Gilmour), CP103 (Townshend), Lead 30, Lead 50, Lead 100, DR201, DR405, SA112, SA212, SA412, SE4121, SE4122, SE4123

SA212 Deep Cleaning

Postby Spray6969 on Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:08 pm

Hi every one,

I'm new to this forum but not as Hiwatt owner.

This time I get a 1975 SA212 very dirty and I think that the original owner was a smoker because all dirt is yellow and "glued".

I need your advice :
- for the electronic I thought to clean it with isopropyl alcohol & a brush. Is this method correct ?
- how to clean speakers metal frame ?

thanks
Spray6969
Peasant
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:04 pm

Re: SA212 Deep Cleaning

Postby LD50 on Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:13 am

Johnson's baby wipes.
All bleeding stops.......eventually.
LD50
Prince
 
Posts: 4195
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:27 pm

Re: SA212 Deep Cleaning

Postby Spray6969 on Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:23 am

LD50 wrote:Johnson's baby wipes.

When I read the product description it says water and perfume : I wont use this is in an electric and metal area!?

For what part have you consider this ?
Spray6969
Peasant
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:04 pm

Re: SA212 Deep Cleaning

Postby OldSchoolDave on Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:31 pm

I would be cautious about using any alcohol-based products on the circuitry, as it could dissolve the labeling on some components. I would also be careful around the ink stamps on speaker frames. Search this forum for postings by MajorWatt regarding actually hosing down the chassis (and letting it completely dry in the sun before re-use). But, follow that advice at your own risk. Personally, I won't do much more than vacuum and gently wipe with a damp rag.

Tolex, on the other hand, can take a good scrubbing with mild soap & water.

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...
.
http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
OldSchoolDave
Prince
 
Posts: 4188
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:46 pm
Location: HP, NC USA

Re: SA212 Deep Cleaning

Postby Spray6969 on Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:50 pm

OldSchoolDave wrote:I would be cautious about using any alcohol-based products on the circuitry, as it could dissolve the labeling on some components. I would also be careful around the ink stamps on speaker frames. Search this forum for postings by MajorWatt regarding actually hosing down the chassis (and letting it completely dry in the sun before re-use). But, follow that advice at your own risk. Personally, I won't do much more than vacuum and gently wipe with a damp rag.

Tolex, on the other hand, can take a good scrubbing with mild soap & water.

Dave


thanks I will looking for posts by MajorWatt
Spray6969
Peasant
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:04 pm

Re: SA212 Deep Cleaning

Postby LD50 on Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:53 pm

Spray6969 wrote:
LD50 wrote:Johnson's baby wipes.

When I read the product description it says water and perfume : I wont use this is in an electric and metal area!?

For what part have you consider this ?


I use them all the time, even now babies are all grown up. There is something magical in them!

Just use and rub and wipe over with clean dry cloth afterwards
All bleeding stops.......eventually.
LD50
Prince
 
Posts: 4195
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:27 pm

Re: SA212 Deep Cleaning

Postby Spray6969 on Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:30 pm

For what it worth this is pictures of the disaster :

Image

Image

Image
Spray6969
Peasant
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:04 pm

Re: SA212 Deep Cleaning

Postby OldSchoolDave on Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:15 pm

Spray6969 wrote:For what it worth this is pictures of the disaster


Looks more like water damage to me. Or, was that chassis sitting exposed to the elements?

How much will a vacuum brush remove?

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...
.
http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
OldSchoolDave
Prince
 
Posts: 4188
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:46 pm
Location: HP, NC USA

Re: SA212 Deep Cleaning

Postby Callaway_1 on Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:34 pm

I would start with a leaf blower and blow out as much of the dust as possible.

then I'd take a dry tooth brush and a shop vac and gently but thoroughly clean it.
see how it looks with the dirt and dust removed.
HI-TONE, when only the best Dave Reeves HIWATT amplifiers and speaker cabs will do.
Callaway_1
Knight
 
Posts: 1886
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:01 am
Location: HIWATT Valley

Re: SA212 Deep Cleaning

Postby sound city 69 on Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:47 am

I'd try compressed from an air compressor followed by a paint brush (with ferrule covered in tape so it wont scratch) while spraying it with air
and if that doesn't get it clean, try contact cleaner applied with Q-tips.
sound city 69
Certified
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:16 am


Return to Hiwatt

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest