heads up uk cabs

DR103, DR103OL, DR504, DR504OL, DR103S (Gilmour), CP103 (Townshend), Lead 30, Lead 50, Lead 100, DR201, DR405, SA112, SA212, SA412, SE4121, SE4122, SE4123

heads up uk cabs

Postby marantz1300 on Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:58 pm

Just saw these for those in the UK on Gumtree

1976 Original HiWatt 2x12" loaded cab with original Fane drivers

Nuneaton, Warwickshire

£80
Posted3 days ago

Description

All original 1976 HiWatt 2x12 loaded cabs. Originally owned by the band "Jigsaw", they've been in dry storage for 30+ years. Each cab has 2 original Fane 12" drivers, the cabs have had the HiWatt logo replaced with the bands logo, and the outside of the cabs are a bit tatty from heavy gigging. There are 4 cabs for sale, £80 each or £300 for all 4.

Ad ID: 1206671522

1976 Original HiWatt 2x12" loaded cab with original Fane drivers

Not mine.
marantz1300
Page

Re: heads up uk cabs

Postby oktorockto on Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:25 pm

I bought these cabs. They aren't in the best condition but very solid and I'm not sure they are 100% Hiwatt as they have corner protectors etc. They may have been custom built liek this though as they were for a band called Jigsaw which had some success.

Anyway, the main thing is they have purple Hiwatt Fanes in them. Until now I have only ever had a Hiwatt cab filled with 4 x 12" Celestion Sidewinders. Wow - I just plugged my DR103 into one of these 2x12's and its just instant Townshend tone (yes, I know he had a CP103/SCity etc!). So I can't wait to fill my 4x12's with these speakers. I may still sell 4 although as they are 8ohm speakers I';m probably best holding on to them so I can have 2 x cabinets @8ohm.
oktorockto
Peasant

Postby OldSchoolDave on Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:47 pm

oktorockto wrote: I just plugged my DR103 into one of these 2x12's ...

Just a word of caution - a DR103 could easily toast those speakers.

I typically apply a 2x safety factor when powering vintage speakers and, even then, have lost one or two :( .

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...
http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Postby Alnico on Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:57 pm

I almost went for those because they weren't too far away. If the ad had been for a Hiwatt 4x12 I would definitely have gone after it.
Alnico
Knight

Postby oktorockto on Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:12 pm

Don't worry about the toasting - I used an attenuator.

well, I knew these were PA speakers. They have whizzers on the cones. I have been scammed though. He told me they were all the same speaker but it turns out 4 were steel chassis. the 4 cast chassis ones have large flat whizzers with dustcaps on them - they actually sound good. The 4 steel ones have a smaller whizzer with dustcap at the bottom of the whizzer.
Last edited by oktorockto on Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
oktorockto
Peasant

Postby LD50 on Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:23 am

oktorockto wrote:Don't worry about the toasting - I used an attenuator.

well, I knew these were PA speakers. They have whizzers on the cones. I have been scammed though. He told me they were all the same speaker but it turns out 4 were steel chassis. the 4 cast chassis ones have large flat whizzers with dustcaps on them - they actually sound good. The 4 steel ones have a smaller whizzer with dustcap at the bottom of the whizzer. The biggest problem is the voicecoils are rubbing on all 4 of the steel chassis ones.

The guy told me he had tested all of the speakers and seemed like a really nice bloke. We had the back off of one of the cabs when I did the deal and it looked fine. Turns out he can't have tested the other ones as the backs wouldn't come off without drilling out the screws. Anyway, he tried to ignore me, I sent a letter to him and hes now sulking and wont reply. if he doesnt sort this out for me I'n going down the small claims route! I'm happy to keep four of these but the others are junk really without a recone.

I had been looking for a 4x12 with Fanes for my DR103 but most were not up to snuff and a member here has advised me to be particularly careful with vintage Fanes as the vast majority will have coil rube to a lesser or greater degree. Since sold the DR103 so not an issue now.

Good luck with your resolution.
All bleeding stops.......eventually.
LD50
Prince

Postby oktorockto on Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:52 am

I take it back - the speakers are ok. now I have played with them a while they are not rubbing or making any sound.
Last edited by oktorockto on Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
oktorockto
Peasant

Postby oktorockto on Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:02 pm

Bump. Can anybody help me with this? I would really appreciate it.
oktorockto
Peasant

Postby pdf64 on Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:39 pm

My 50W cast frame 12217G has a 3" dust cover, soft fabric type.
Good luck :thumbsup:
My band:-http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand
pdf64
Knight

Postby Callaway_1 on Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:03 pm

all of the whizzers I have seen had a much longer voice coil. it was too long for use with a 3" cap.
I would advise against trying a whizzerectomy.

I have not heard of any successful results.
HI-TONE, when only the best Dave Reeves HIWATT amplifiers and speaker cabs will do.
Callaway_1
Knight

Postby oktorockto on Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:24 pm

Hi again,

well, I decided to go against advice and go ahead with the whizzerectomy.

Here are the drivers pre surgery

I cut out the dust cap with a craft knife and then peeled away the rest of the edges, This left about half an inch of exposed voice coil - with no actual coil around it though. I then used a dremel with a carborundum disc to cut off the voice coil. While I was at it, and seeing that the magnet slug looked well corroded, and there was indeed a very small amount of coil rub still, I used some fine 1200 grit wet and dry and sanded the edges of the slug next to the inside of the voice coil. You have to be very careful with the dremel that you dont cut the coil wires. I sealed up the edges of the coil with some flexible black glue I have called Weathermate.

Here is the de-whizzered result:

Now I am just waiting for some new 3" dustcaps to come which I can glue on. The cones look very similar to guitar ones I have seen. These sounded pretty good anyway but here is definitive proof that whizzerectomy, in some cases at least, can be done on a Hiwatt Fane PA speaker. I am going to try and do the four cast chassis speakers I also have in a week or two.
oktorockto
Peasant

Postby OldSchoolDave on Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:00 pm

oktorockto wrote:I then used a dremel with a carborundum disc to cut off the voice coil. While I was at it, and seeing that the magnet slug looked well corroded, and there was indeed a very small amount of coil rub still, I used some fine 1200 grit wet and dry and sanded the edges of the slug next to the inside of the voice coil.

Did you protect the gap during the grinding/cutting/sanding process? If any shavings remain, those coils won't last long...

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...
http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Postby oktorockto on Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:05 pm

Yes all protected and then hoovered out to make sure and turned upside down and given the 9v battery treatment on and off several times just as a last check. You would be hard pushed to unbolt these magnets, I think the bolts would shear before you undid them.
oktorockto
Peasant

Postby Callaway_1 on Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:23 pm

You have also altered the weight of the voice coil. This will affect the tone. Almost certainly boosting the highs and reducing the bass. Its anyone's guess what it will sound like when finished.
I hope you will like the result.
HI-TONE, when only the best Dave Reeves HIWATT amplifiers and speaker cabs will do.
Callaway_1
Knight

Postby oktorockto on Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:14 pm

Callaway_1 wrote:You have also altered the weight of the voice coil. This will affect the tone. Almost certainly boosting the highs and reducing the bass. Its anyone's guess what it will sound like when finished.
I hope you will like the result.

Well, I got rid of the whizzer, which will reduce hi frequencies, or make them more pleasant anyway. Removing, lets say, half a gram of fiberglass from the voicecoil is almost insignificant when viewed as part of the full mass of the speaker cone and vociecoil unit with copper wire combined. I would wager that even a class 1 sound analyser would struggle to see the difference, let alone someones ear. I would imagine a voicecoil and cone to weigh, say 100g? that's like a 200:1 ratio of weight. Maybe I'll glue some lead solder inside the top rim of the voicecoil to make up the weight eh?
oktorockto
Peasant

Next

Return to Hiwatt