Hello, newbie here

For those building and repairing amps on their own. Learna and share ideas.

Hello, newbie here

Postby dragonworks on Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:02 pm

Just joined the board. Have played for 50 years, trying to learn to repair amps, having fun, haven't got electrocuted yet.
Have had some success. I will have many questions I am sure, but for now, if this link has not been posted before, let me do so here.
http://www.tubebooks.org/technical_books_online.htm
Stumbled across this in my quest for knowledge and found it to be quite helpful.
If you don't hear from me again I have probably electrocuted my self in the basement, better than dying on the shop floor at work.
dragonworks
Peasant

Re: Hello, newbie here

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:51 pm

Welcome aboard. :cheers:

The best advice that I can pass on to you was given to me almost forty years ago by one of my first electronics mentors, live by this rule and you will survive.

"One hand in pocket while probing"

An isolation transformer would be my own personal piece of wisdom, worth every penny. :wink:
ImageImageImage

John Lennon/Jimi Hendrix/Jimmy Page Fan
Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Postby dragonworks on Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:04 pm

Thanx for the heads up. I do probe with one hand in the pocket, and I do believe I have an isolation transformer now that you mention it. I bought a bunch of stuff from an estate sale and I think there is one in there with all the other stuff? I brought it all home, put most of it away and basically haven't given it much thought since then and it has been awhile. I will have to dig through it. I bought two large roll around cabinets full of equipment and some other stuff for a hundred dollars. The gent had worked for Westinghouse all his life. There were meggers, scopes, many multimeters, components, etc.
dragonworks
Peasant

Postby PeterS on Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:07 pm

meggers, scopes, many multimeters, components, etc.

What fun. I was in a Active Surplus in Toronto last week, they had a shelf of oscilloscopes, all powered up, good looking bright sharp displays, all under $200. Looked like a much better deal than the display you get on new cheap digital scopes.
PeterS
King

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:59 pm

Wasn't it Patrick Henry that said "give me a crt or give me death.."? :P :twisted: :laff:
ImageImageImage

John Lennon/Jimi Hendrix/Jimmy Page Fan
Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Postby EHansen on Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:39 pm

'one hand in pocket' is a must , be careful.

I have made one or two wiring mistakes ,( or more......) in the last 10 years , and its a good chance
it will happen to you too. So be careful and recognise the smell of a burning resistor.....:-)
if it smells just pull the plug....

I recently had a faulty rectifier diode in a 60's b&k tube tester, a failure giving 120v ac to the electrolytic caps , one hell of bang. My ears were ringing for about a day.Wearing glasses saved my eyes from the debris of the explosion.
EHansen
Page

Postby dragonworks on Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:03 am

are you guys trying to scare me away?
dragonworks
Peasant

Postby EHansen on Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:12 pm

dragonworks wrote:are you guys trying to scare me away?

No , just be careful. And remember safety first.
EHansen
Page

Postby dragonworks on Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:18 pm

I am just kidding and I am careful. Have been working at it on and off for a few years, always tinkering with something and I am still here.
But I thank you all for your concern and I will continue to be careful and am glad for the reminder. I once had two McIntosh two hundred watt tube amps.
They had RCA 8005 tubes for power output, two, in push pull. They had ceramic caps on the top of them. A base player friend used to use them and sometimes one of the tubes
wood come loose from him blasting. He would just reach in behind and push them back down. Well, one of them had one tube soldered instead of the ceramic
cap and he pushed on that one time, 840 volts I think went there, and he wound up across the floor in a daze with a hole in his finger, surprised he lived!
I will be careful.
dragonworks
Peasant

Postby addseo1115 on Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:13 am

Hello, I am new member here.
Thanks for the great welcome.
I have enjoyed with the topic here.
addseo1115
Peasant

Return to Do It Yourself Amp Builders