Rebuild "Original" Marshall 100W Super Trem Plexi?

For those building and repairing amps on their own. Learna and share ideas.

Rebuild "Original" Marshall 100W Super Trem Plexi?

Postby Boone on Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:26 pm

I have an "Original" Marshall Super Trem 100 Serial #ST 10587

I have owned it for about the last 15 Years.

It has a master volume and and the following mods installed by Mark Cameron.

#1 Master Volume

#2 Distortion knob

#3 Bass Resonance

#4 Effects loop.

I have always thought this amp sounded awesome. It has been my favorite amp up until recently when I went through my JTM45 (no mods) and got it to sound "right". I went on a VH kick a few years ago and despite my limited fingers I can get this thing to make tone pretty close to VH with a PV Wolfgang and all the VH appropriate effects. Sounds pretty darn good with other signal chains as well.

I had a look under to hood last night and with all due respect to Mr. Cameron (again this amp does does sound amazing) some of the work inside just looks a little "not the best"...

I use the term "Original" loosely as what with all the Cameron mods and other replaced components + a lot of wear and tear (cosmetically she is about a 7 at best), the amp is hardly original so there is not much sense in keeping it as is as it is already kind of heavily messed with, but in my opinion, in a good way.

I have recently taken up tinkering with my old amps and am having pretty good success.

I am tempted to take it down to the bare chassis and rebuild it, including most if not all of the Cameron Mods, myself.

This is probably a little bigger project than I ought to take on, but nevertheless, inspiration strikes me to do so.

I am going for a good old fashioned Marshal crunch tone (Think Gary Moore), as I have sort of gotten over my VH phase and have returned to the blues. I also (of course), love Robben Fords tone with his Dumble amp(s), but I do not have the bank account to get an original Dumble. Would love to approximate Robben's tone though.

My questions are:

#1 Would I be better off leaving this amp alone and building a kit amp of some type, and if so, which one(s)?

#2 Has anyone made circuit drawings of the Cameron Mods?

#3 Should I put it back as stock as possible, but perhaps leave the master volume?

#4 Whats to be gained by rebuilding it with all the Cameron Mods, but really cleaning it up so all is nice and neat under the chassis?

#5 Whats it worth "as is" considering Mark has put all of the above mods in it? I know Mark has a very good name amongst the amp gurus and this amps tone is a tribute to that.

Opinions are most welcome.

Thanks to all.
Boone
Peasant

Re: Rebuild "Original" Marshall 100W Super Trem Plexi?

Postby Unit_1 on Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:45 am

Well as they say a picture is worth a thousand words - pics of the current state might help to decide whether it would be a more desirable amp as is, or restored as well as possible.

hit quote above my message to see how I displayed this picture stored on my free account at photobucket

The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Return to Do It Yourself Amp Builders