1963 tube record player conversion?

For those building and repairing amps on their own. Learna and share ideas.

1963 tube record player conversion?

Postby gtptim on Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:53 pm

Hi all, I found a 1963- vintage record player with a nice tube amp setup inside that still works great. I was thinking of converting it into a little amp for guitar. After some research, I found that live circuit-type models without transformers are bad news, but this one appears to have 2 transformers, and all tubes in the system appear to be those that are standard in some vintage guitar amps. Looks like a perfect donor. My question is, what would I need to modify to make this work? Is it simply a matter of converting the 'aux input' on the circuit to a 1/4" jack? right now it's an 'RCA' style barrel connector.
Here's the details:
It's a Audiotronics Model 300c - tube setup is 6CA4, 6BQ5, and 6AV6.
I was lucky enough to find the paper schematic inside the tube access area and took a picture of it. It looks pretty straight forward. Can anyone help me out? Thanks! :cheers:

gtptim
Peasant

Re: 1963 tube record player conversion?

Postby Unit_1 on Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:37 pm

Just buy a cable converter and you can try without soldering!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-Phono-RCA- ... 53f6ed070c
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby gtptim on Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:40 pm

Unit_1 wrote:Just buy a cable converter and you can try without soldering!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-Phono-RCA- ... 53f6ed070c

You got me thinking- I found an adapter from RCA to 1/8" male to at least try that aux input and see if it works. I'm now listening to Hendrix from my iPhone on this old record player. Sounds great. Very interesting.

Another question, I have an 8 ohm 12" speaker from another amp I had- would it make sense to use a 12" speaker on this little amp?
gtptim
Peasant

Postby ThisLifeILead on Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:29 pm

ive always just pulled the tubes and transformers and built a new amp into a new chassis. to me its easier. you could always gut the electronics and rebuild inside the player but the stock speakers never sound very good. my 2 cents.
"Great spirits often encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds" - A.Einstein
ThisLifeILead
Squire

Postby Papa Dog on Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:56 pm

I have been looking for a few of those machines.
easy way to build a magnetic echo device.
duplicate the amp section and add an oscillator for the record side.
remove the pickup from the tone arm and replace with a record head and playback head.
attach the disk from an old 5 1/2" floppy to the turntable. position the arm over disc.
might require a simple bracket to hold it in place.
voila---echo machine on the cheap...easy enough to position the playback head to give different lengths of delay, easy enough to add more than one playback head, just build another amp unit like the first....feedback for multi repeats is a no brainer too...wanna sell that one?
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--"
Papa Dog
Knight

Postby Unit_1 on Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:24 pm

you could also just change the speed for different rates.... but where does one find a floppy????

tons of tube record players on eBay!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1311.R1.TR7.TRC2.A0.H0.Xtube+record.TRS0&_nkw=tube+record+player&_sacat=0
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby Papa Dog on Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:50 am

Unit_1 wrote:you could also just change the speed for different rates.... but where does one find a floppy????

tons of tube record players on eBay!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1311.R1.TR7.TRC2.A0.H0.Xtube+record.TRS0&_nkw=tube+record+player&_sacat=0

haven't been on 'the bay' for quite some time....other things taking precedence. Actually haven't been here very much of late either.
Floppys can be found....somewhere in the garage I gots a whole case of them....magnetic medium, attach with a weak glue (elmers stick glue works well) and if you just get a whole pile of used disks they can be blanked with a good strong magnet and then replaced easily when they begin to wear (which they will with record/playback heads sitting almost directly on them.
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--"
Papa Dog
Knight

Return to Do It Yourself Amp Builders