New Builder, OT or not OT 5E9-a

For those building and repairing amps on their own. Learna and share ideas.

New Builder, OT or not OT 5E9-a

Postby Ampforya on Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:52 am

Only experience has been wiring lots of different controls in Custom guitars I've built from Canadian woods.

Iv been Enthusiastic about building amp for about 1 year.
Doing as much reading as I have been able to come by.
This forum was very helpful in that!

Although still don't know if I need an output transformer for this Amp ???
So that is my first question, I just understood that this amp didn't have one. As the 5G9 later on did use the OT.

Sorry if this is a newly question. Im here to learn!

:cheers:
Amp for ya
Ampforya
Peasant

Re: New Builder, OT or not OT 5E9-a

Postby Unit_1 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:58 pm

most certainly!

the final stage in a tube amp is feeding the output from the power tube(s) through a transformer to transform HIGH voltage, low current into low voltage high current to drive the speaker

there are no dumb questions, all of us once upon a time, have pondered the mysteries of 'what's in the box?'

the best way to build your first amp is buying a kit, but if you wish to educate yourself about what you're building then it's time to get a book. "The guitar amp handbook" by Dave Hunter is a great place to start

20 bucks for the paperback, such knowledge at such a low price. incredible..... :highfive:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/087930863X/?ta ... xohpxfjm_p

the one thing I gotta say before you go any further, guitars won't kill you if you make a mistake. amps can and have killed people that didn't know what they were doing. the voltages can go to 500v and beyond. if you touch 500v with one hand, and the other hand is grounded, the current will travel across your heart and probably stop it. :Zap:

really good idea to read the book first!!!!!!!
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby housekustoms on Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:52 pm

I'll pile on and offer this shocking thread (pun intended) also from this forum which serves as a vivid reminder of Unit's closing remarks...

http://vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=106572

:Zap:
I'm a little bit :old: now, but I still like to :jam:

housekustoms
Page

Postby Ampforya on Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:32 am

I have some experience fixing other tube amplifiers.

(Im wondering why there is some articles which say that the 5e9-a differs from the 5g9 as the later (5g9) model had an addition of a OT? )

I definitely know the precautionary procedures and risks involved when working on tube amps, as the capacitors can hold lethal amounts of voltage as (Unit-1 described.) Thanks for pointing that out again as others have before you, as not everybody will know that when they begin working on tube amplifiers!

I could post some pictures of the diagram or pictures of my continuing work on the amp.

I read the Ot transformer must be there "to convert HIgh voltage low current to Low Voltage High current."
So I need this to complete my amplifier then> anticipating to posting some pictures later on for more help from experienced builders.

:cheers:
amp for ya
Ampforya
Peasant

Postby Unit_1 on Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:59 am

some older amps have 'field coils' attached to the speaker

this is just the OT hooked up to the speaker instead of the chassis

not *real* sure about the 5e9 vs. 5e9-a, but as I look at layouts of the 5e9 on the web I see wires coming through a chassis hole and hooking up to the speaker jacks, this to me indicates that an OT is attached to the chassis.....

hey, ya, always gotta give the standard IMMINENT DEATH warning, lol.... you never know. I've been zapped playing a guitar on an amp with the death cap and it damn near did kill me.

it was NOT fun...... :Zap:
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby Ampforya on Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:58 pm

Im just going to order the OT soon as I figure which this 6V6 push pull amp will sound best with.
I have the Deluxe Power transformer already, bought it from someone one this forum actually.

Either of these mercury will do?
Vibrolux reverb OT
FBFVLR-O Blackface Reverb -- 4Ω tap 115.00

5E3 Deluxe 55'-60' narrow panel FTDO-59
http://www.mercurymagnetics.com/images/ ... TDO-59.pdf

5E3 Deluxe 50s
FTDO-15 Tweed -- early '50s 80.00

Tone Clone:
Our Part# Style Series Type Wattage Speaker Taps
40-18022 Fender Vintage Output 20W 8 Ohm 31.00

If price were not an object which would you prefer?
Ampforya
Peasant

Postby Unit_1 on Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:41 pm

I would call Patrick at Mercury magnetics and ask him

he'll ask what kinda sound you shooting for and make a recommendation :thumbsup:

btw, sent you a PM about this too

Unit_1
Prince

Postby Ampforya on Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:17 pm

HI Unit-1, aka Allen,

I sent a PM with some details, Would like to know how much your able to discount it for me?

:yin_yang:

Thank you,

AFY
Ampforya
Peasant

Return to Do It Yourself Amp Builders