video makes tolex look *easy*`

For those building and repairing amps on their own. Learna and share ideas.

video makes tolex look *easy*`

Postby Unit_1 on Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:33 am

i've watched a bunch of different how to's on tolexing, but none have given me the feeling "i can do this" like this one has

I can do this...., lol....

I was looking for a custom metal grill for the b210 cab I'm making and found this place, just a couple miles from me over in north hollywood. I'm getting a 23.5 x 14.75 for only $23.52 + $3 pickup in person fee. I was going to only cover the speaker, but it came out to less than the $20 minimum order, so now I'm covering the entire front panel instead.

using the 62.4% open area black powder coated metal grill material shown below:

http://www.reliablehardware.com/
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Re: video makes tolex look *easy*`

Postby ThisLifeILead on Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:46 pm

Dam that would be some nice amp head cab grill material too.... I have a Hiwatt head that needs to be tolexed..i have all the stuff to do it....just scared haha
"Great spirits often encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds" - A.Einstein
ThisLifeILead
Squire

Postby Unit_1 on Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:39 pm

yeah they have all the other typical amp mesh too, plenty of styles to choose from

I like the way this guy does the tolex 'cus of the way he positions everything FIRST and then sprays both sides, and then just tips the box over so the glued sides meet. and since they were together when sprayed, there's already enough bond at the bottom to keep it from slipping out of position. BRILLIANT! :idea:

all the other how to's I've seen had both pieces separate when applying the glue, and then you just gotta be mr. super accurate and get 'lucky' to slap the one piece on top of the other and hope you didn't miss.

really, this takes that challenge away!
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby ThisLifeILead on Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:22 pm

im still scared haha :fingersx:
"Great spirits often encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds" - A.Einstein
ThisLifeILead
Squire

Return to Do It Yourself Amp Builders