Breadboard Amp Modeling Project..........

For those building and repairing amps on their own. Learna and share ideas.

Breadboard Amp Modeling Project..........

Postby Jack Hester on Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:35 pm

I've been working on breadboard project, for the most of the Spring. I've finally got it functional, and I'm now looking forward to a Summer and Fall of experimenting (and Winter, and next Spring). Here are some pictures of he build progress:

The underside, and the components that make it work.

Topside, with only the rails mounted for pots, jacks, switches, etc..

Rails mounted to stabilize the panel, as there's a lot of weight mounted underneath.

"We sleep safe in our beds
because rough men stand ready in the night
to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

---George Orwell
Jack Hester
Certified

Re: Breadboard Amp Modeling Project..........

Postby Jack Hester on Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:36 pm

Breadboards mounted, though this is still a work in progress. Ideas still coming on different board configurations.

Side panel with auto-transformer, grommeted holes where the PT-CT, 5v-CT, 6.3v-CT, 12.6v-CT secondaries will attach to the barrier terminal strip (side-mount).

The OT taps (primary and secondary) will come out on the top, through grommeted holes, to be connected to a barrier terminal strip.

---George Orwell
Jack Hester
Certified

Postby Jack Hester on Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:37 pm

I began this project as an inspiration from a fellow over on the Hoffman Amps Forum. Here is my original thread, on that forum, with more detail of my progress:

http://el34world.com/Forum/index.php?to ... #msg165661

All is wired, and I finished the octal rectifier board a couple days, or so, ago.

I have been sorting through my huge assortment of vacuum tubes, and segregated my Russian tubes from my domestic. I plan to do considerable experimentation with these tubes. Here is a list of the ones that I've managed to sort:

6N2P - Comparable in specs to the 12AX7, though pin 9 is a shield between triodes, and pins 4 & 5 are 6.3v heater connections, only. They are said to be superior tubes, with slightly higher actual gain than 12AX7's.

6P14P - EL84

6P3S-E - 6L6G

6P6S - 6V6

5C3S - 5U4G (said to be better than domestic)

6N9S - 6SL7

I'm mostly interested in vintage amps, and tend to study those schematics more so than more modern. That includes vintage effects, like Tremolo, true Vibrato, and some older analog solid state. Mostly tube, though. So, I'll try to post some of the things that I do, if there is enough interest. Comments please.

Have a good one.

Jack

---George Orwell
Jack Hester
Certified

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:58 am

Pretty snazzy rig Jack, kudos! 8) :cheers:
ImageImageImage

John Lennon/Jimi Hendrix/Jimmy Page Fan
Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Postby Jack Hester on Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:21 am

Thanks. I have my first draft of a very simple amp in CAD. It has a 6N2P in the pre-amp, and a 6P14P in the power amp. No tone control on this first layout. I've built this amp using a 12AX7 and an EL84. So, I know that it's a good little amp. I'm using the breadboard to maybe create a better layout, plus prove out the Russian variation of these tubes. And, prove out my breadboard build.

So, the first build is an important one. Simple, so that I can troubleshoot easily, if issues arise. And, compare with the working model.

Once that's done to my satisfaction, I'll substitute a 5CS3 rectifier tube, tweak the power supply to hopefully match the SS rectifier voltages, and listen for any differences. I should have had one of these years ago. Sure would have saved a lot of builds, only to tear it down to build another.

I'm having fun and I've only made a drawing. I'll post that when I've cleaned it up and proof-read it.

Jack

P.S. - A Hilgen Troubadour is another one that I want to try, substituting comparable Russian tubes, as I have a couple fine examples of that amp. Very easy amp to build. More to come.

---George Orwell
Jack Hester
Certified

Postby ThisLifeILead on Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:52 pm

wow that would be mavelous to study all the subtle changes one could make to tweak their sound. Esp for Hi-Gain circuits.
"Great spirits often encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds" - A.Einstein
ThisLifeILead
Squire

Return to Do It Yourself Amp Builders