Bogen meets Superlite TMB

For those building and repairing amps on their own. Learna and share ideas.

Bogen meets Superlite TMB

Postby ThisLifeILead on Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:27 pm

His guys, I gutted and rebuilt a Bogen CHB-35A with a superlite TMB preamp. I used a 500K bass pot and 0.01mfd mid cap. The amp sounds great except the bass control has no effect and its quite woofie at louder volumes. The stock Bogen has 0.047uf P.I coupling caps no bleeders. The Superlite has 0.01uf P.I coupling caps and 470k bleeders.
I built the amp using 0.047uf P.I caps and no bleeder resistors as i thought the larger 7868 tubes could handle more signal/bass than el84's.
I know marshalls have a loose bottom end but this is just alittle too loose. any other suggestions to lower bass? the Master volume wiper cap is 0.015uf but i dunno if its enough to make a massive difference.

The tone stack had me confused at first. The bass and mid pots are wired backwards....am i tying the wiper and end lug of the bass pot together? i read that schematic as the end lug is not connected.
:cheers:

"Great spirits often encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds" - A.Einstein
ThisLifeILead
Squire

Re: Bogen meets Superlite TMB

Postby ThisLifeILead on Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:21 pm

for those that look back on this thread i was able to fix the sloppy bass response. I used a 0.0022uf (2200pf) coupling cap off the wiper on the Master volume into the P.I. Left the 0.047uf caps feeding the power tubes. Bass gets alittle soft with the master on max but its friggin loud and def reminds me of a M*rshall...onto the next build... :jam:
"Great spirits often encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds" - A.Einstein
ThisLifeILead
Squire

Postby gusfinley on Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:40 am

Out of curiosity, what is the next build?

And show us some pix of your last one, if I may so inquire....
gusfinley
Knight

Postby ThisLifeILead on Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:10 pm

Gus, the next build is a full blown Matamp gt120 that is tube rectified. The steel chassis is being fabricated as we speak. 24x8x2.5 ....biggest amp I have ever built. Should be interesting.
the BMS ( bogen meets superlite) is at the jam space. I will be labelling the controls soon so once I have the decals printed I will be bringing it home. Ill take photos then and repost.
ThisLifeILead
Squire

Postby gusfinley on Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:01 am

The matamp sounds like a beast! Be sure to fill us on on that build, too!
gusfinley
Knight

Postby ThisLifeILead on Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:09 pm

I will be making a whole new thread with pics on the GT120 build once i get the chassis. Should be next week sometime.
I found this bogen pic, gotta love the painters tape to label the controls...I was going to powdercoat the bogen cage but i really like the front top panel with the bogen logo.
ThisLifeILead
Squire

Return to Do It Yourself Amp Builders