Single-Ended Tube PA?

For those building and repairing amps on their own. Learna and share ideas.

Single-Ended Tube PA?

Postby ThisLifeILead on Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:01 am

Bear with me here.
I was at a friends show the other night and he plays banjo in a country/outlaw/bluegrass kinda band. Whenever he plugs in through the DI patch i can never hear him on stage. he sometimes plays through a crappy line 6 combo. I have a few chassis's and parts to put something together a suprise. I was thinking of a small blackface champ AA764 like combo but with a simple PA preamp and a variable DI out on the back...I have a 10watt EL34 SE AX84 style amp that i think would make a great conversion also... ideas? thoughts? suggestions?

i was thinking a simple input stage ALA champ, then some grid leaks and a large coupling cap, vol/preamp then 2nd standard gain stage (no cathode follower ALA ax84 SE)with is ideally fed into a TMB + Master Volume stage then to Power tube Grids...
"Great spirits often encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds" - A.Einstein
ThisLifeILead
Squire

Re: Single-Ended Tube PA?

Postby gusfinley on Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:08 am

I found a 5W single-ended tube PA at a thrift store once for like $3 or $5. It was a "Voice of Music" brand, model number 8810. I gutted to build my bro a 5W vox AC30 with top boost and EF86 channels.

I think a Single ended EL34 is a great idea, twice the power of a "champ-style" output. I would love to hear a banjo through a tube amp!

Voice of Music schematic below:

gusfinley
Knight

Re: Single-Ended Tube PA?

Postby ThisLifeILead on Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:57 pm

thats what i was looking for!~!! thnx Gus..although the plan has changed, we are going to upgrade his brutal button mic for an under the saddle piezo pickup...and see
"Great spirits often encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds" - A.Einstein
ThisLifeILead
Squire

Return to Do It Yourself Amp Builders