Power transformers for an AC-30

For those building and repairing amps on their own. Learna and share ideas.

Power transformers for an AC-30

Postby Mark Abbott on Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:21 pm

Hi

I'm in the early stages of building an AC-30, I still haven't entirely made my mind up about the output transformer though the Haddon and Woden transformers are in the running, mind you I've heard Vox amps with Albion O/P transformer that sounded pretty big too.

My chief concern is a power transformer that will give me a vintage rail voltage value. I estimate the Mercury transformers would supply somewhere between 340VDC and 360VDC. This is derived by multiplying 285 by 1.2 and 303 by 1.2.

What are your findings?

Thanks for your assistance.

Mark Abbott
Mark Abbott
Peasant

Re: Power transformers for an AC-30

Postby skeeterbuck on Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:06 pm

Mark,
I in the same position as you getting my parts ready for a AC30/6 build. I contact Patrick @ Mercury and told them I was looking for a power transformer with 280-0-280 on the secondary windings like the JMI's were. They only have one that in that area that's 285-0-285. The others are 303-0-303.

I looking at the Heyboer from Mojotone. Check it put here: http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/trans ... iZ6JhaKdz8

Let us know what you decide on. :thumbsup:

I'm looking at the Mercury Haddon for an O/T.

Chuck
skeeterbuck
Court Jester

Re: Power transformers for an AC-30

Postby Unit_1 on Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:25 am

just posted about this on your heater wire post....
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Return to Do It Yourself Amp Builders