Scratch build, Opinions?

For those building and repairing amps on their own. Learna and share ideas.

Scratch build, Opinions?

Postby Anticpunk on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:46 pm

I'm thinking about knocking together another tube amp from parts......

I have a Twin Reverb 135Ul Output transformer, A later Twin Power transformer, Several Chokes, plenty of everything else.

I want to build an UL PP 6550 output section, thinking of maybe a Sunn clone, maybe a 200clone or similar with 2 power tubes.......... Is there any reason the TR 135 output can't be used with a pair of 6550's instead of 4 6L6GC's? Will a silverface TR power transformer be enough juice to push 2 6550's like Sunn did with the Dynaco MK2-3 amps they modeled after?

I know my output load would need to change because of the change in tube count, I think it has to be an 8ohm load as opposed to the 4ohm output it originally saw to keep the reflected impedance close to correct.

Opening a can of worms, but I have parts and a chassis to burn and I want an amp with some beef for my latest doom/noise projects, and I don't have the bread for a Soundcity 120, Matamp, or a vintage Orange.......

Thanks,

Jay
Anticpunk
Peasant

Re: Scratch build, Opinions?

Postby ThisLifeILead on Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:11 pm

Jay, i just did a Matamp Gt100 clone in an old Garnet Tube PA.(rebuilt). Killer sludge Doom tone with just a pair of El34's rocking 525 volts on the plates. Its plenty loud for me and has a suprising amount of gain on tap. It might be tough to get that Sunn tone outta that OT..... but the Matamp would fit the bill and you could do a quad of el34's. the schematic i worked from was great and i can pass it along to ya if ya want.
I gotta say the Matamp Gt100 has the best sludge tone ive tried besides a real Sunn. Ive played through Hiwatts, Ampeg V4's, Mesa's, orange's (new oranges) and the Matamp just screams dynamics.
here is a short and sweet clip: http://soundcloud.com/mad-scientist-10/ormat6

My friend has a 2nd Gen Model T ...i do want to build a clone one day..one day...5th input and all. :jam:
"Great spirits often encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds" - A.Einstein
ThisLifeILead
Squire

Postby Anticpunk on Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:32 am

Thats sweet! I really dig that Matamp sounds alot.

The reason I want to use these transformers is because I already have them. The 135Ultra Linear transformer is meant for a quad of 6L6's, so I'm not positive if the impedance can be made to work for the 6550's into realistic modern cabinet impedances, but it's a weighty transformer and I'm sure I can get some beef out of it tone wise. If you don't think it'll work, I could sell it or trade it for something better and more suited. The 6550s are a staple to what I want to do though, I'm big on the sound of them in almost every amp I've had them in. I'm not stuck on the UL idea, it's just how the transformer is setup and it's easy enough to add a node for the screens if I hate the UL sound....

The Twin power transformer will handle the heater and plate requirements of the 6550's, and I have it laying around too...

My target is 50-60 watts, basic fender preamp and PI with an Orange tone stack and a PPI master volume. The main object is to not spend any money doing it, and I have all of the big $$ parts on hand....
Anticpunk
Peasant

Postby ThisLifeILead on Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:25 pm

Do you know off hand what the primary impedance is on that OT? that'll let you know forsure if 6550's will work.
Thats an interesting circuit design. Ive seen matamps with fender tonestacks but not a fender circuit with a bax stack.
"Great spirits often encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds" - A.Einstein
ThisLifeILead
Squire

Return to Do It Yourself Amp Builders