Tube Powered Boost Pedals

For those building and repairing amps on their own. Learna and share ideas.

Re: Tube Powered Boost Pedals

Postby Tman on Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:22 pm

Tone & volume pots sorted out and corrected. The tone pot doesn't really do much so I may need to make some cap changes. Maybe I'll dump the tone control all together and put a SP3T switch in to switch between a few cap values for C1. It's got quite a bit of clean boost with a 12AU7 and gets nice and crunchy with a 12BH7. I like the way it pushes my amps. I'm running mine off of a 12volt power supply now. It worked fine off of my 9 volt pedal supply but it just has a little more off of the 12 supply. It was a fun little project, I need to do another with more bells & whistles.

Last edited by Tman on Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tman
Knight

Postby ThisLifeILead on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:51 pm

Now i have to build one :POd:
"Great spirits often encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds" - A.Einstein
ThisLifeILead
Squire

Postby Unit_1 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:52 pm

hey tman

how about a sample? love to hear it!

The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby Tman on Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:47 pm

:laff:

Here it is in action. I really like this pedal a lot.

Last edited by Tman on Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tman
Knight

Postby ThisLifeILead on Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:35 pm

very nice! thats off a 9 or 12v wart?
"Great spirits often encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds" - A.Einstein
ThisLifeILead
Squire

Postby Tman on Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:07 pm

I was running mine with my 9v Godlyke Powerall that I use on a small board and It works great with that but I switched to a 12 power supply because I happen to have one handy. My Line 6 Echo Park get's noisy if I have it plugged into a power supply with any boost pedals. I was just powering that on a separate 9v wall wart but it quit on me so I had to improvise.
Tman
Knight

Postby Unit_1 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:20 pm

wow!

that DOES sound great...

[capt. kirk accent]
must.....
make......
one...........
[/capt. kirk accent]

thanks!!!! :mrgreen:
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby Tman on Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:28 pm

Dude, break out that iron and fire it up. What's cooler than a boost pedal with vintage glass in it?

ThisLifeILead wrote:very nice! thats off a 9 or 12v wart?

They will run off of a standard 9V wall part but it's best to have something with a regulated output to eliminate the hum. Most One-Spots or similar is all you need to get the job done. It's great at 12vdc. Mine is real quiet even cranked in front of a cranked amp. My OD pedals, clean boosts and even my M108 EQ are a lot noisier than this and this provides a serious volume bump. Want to add a second channel for lead boost to that single channel amp? This might be a good solution.
Tman
Knight

Postby ThisLifeILead on Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:37 pm

I am rounding up my stuff now!!! beautifully simple :mrgreen:
ThisLifeILead
Squire

Postby Unit_1 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:53 pm

12au7 - just bought it now on ebay, nice to get a nos rca tube for 9 bucks including shipping...

Unit_1
Prince

Postby Tman on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:02 pm

gusfinley wrote:Wow! These are some Crazy Low Plate voltages! I'd like to hear one with proper plate voltages.

I built a Matchless Hotbox and its got a 330 VDC Power Supply! it's clean channel is a good boost, and its dirty channel is hot-rodded Vox AC30 Bliss!

I looked into this and I WANT ONE!!! I may be doing one myself in the future.
Tman
Knight

Postby gusfinley on Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:16 am

Tman wrote:
gusfinley wrote:I built a Matchless Hotbox and its got a 330 VDC Power Supply! it's clean channel is a good boost, and its dirty channel is hot-rodded Vox AC30 Bliss!

I looked into this and I WANT ONE!!! I may be doing one myself in the future.

You're in luck. I documented about every aspect of my build and have a schematic, wiring diagram, assembly instuctions, drill templates, parts list and a 3D model emeded in a PDF. I was hoping to sell some "info kits" for this build for $20 or so. I'd be happy to let you be the first to build one with some free info. Send me a PM with your email if you're interested.

Here's a post of my original 7"x9" build. I was able to cram it in a 6"x8" chassis using 3D modeling and it looks much nicer. Being, essentially, a Vox AC-30 preamp it sounds good through just about everything - except a Vox....
gusfinley
Knight

Postby Tman on Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:05 am

I just might take a swing at it, PM sent. I found your website on it when I did my search. It looks pretty cool. Your clip wouldn't open, how does it sound?
Tman
Knight

Previous

Return to Do It Yourself Amp Builders