Cables/ wirers for plexi circuitboards...

For those building and repairing amps on their own. Learna and share ideas.

Cables/ wirers for plexi circuitboards...

Postby Ralle on Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:24 pm

I'm trying to find cables for a -67 plexi... mostly for the preamp-pots- preamp tubesockets to turretboard...
I would like to get the same kind as were in the amps back then... the same thickness ( gauge? )...
Any one know where I can get some?

Thanx in advance
Ralle
Ralle
Peasant

Re: Cables/ wirers for plexi circuitboards...

Postby Ralle on Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:02 am

Anyone?
Ralle
Peasant

Postby Unit_1 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:28 am

this place can be pretty dead on the weekends, you might wanna try bumping it again during the weekdays....

it's probably 22 awg...

i only build amps and i use silver plated solid core teflon insulated wire which surprisingly enough can be found for less than half that of cloth covered wire....

the real experts at truly vintage amps will probably know a source....
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby gusfinley on Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:26 am

Be sure the wire is rated to 600 Volts! You can't get this stuff at radio shack... Also, use heavier gage (AWG number less that 22) wire for your main grounds. I've had bad luck having noise generated for 22 AWG Ground lines.

Sometimes I buy this by the foot from Mojotone:

http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/amplifier-wire

I bought a kit a while back that was really good:

http://www.radiodaze.com/product/13583.aspx
gusfinley
Knight

Postby Dai on Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:41 am

I really doubt there is any special magic in the wires. You should know there is high impedance circuitry in a Marshall and wires can "talk" to each other which makes their placement matter (in other words where and how you run the wires can affect the sound).
Dai
Baron

Postby Unit_1 on Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:37 pm

are you doing a diy project? or a restoration?

i get my teflon wire from bob stabler. freakin' great prices, lots of colors for the silver plated, solid core, teflon insulated wire. solid core is better, imnsho, because stranded can fray and make it harder to work with and doesn't stay where you put it.

http://www.aerokap.com/overview.htm
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby Ralle on Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:43 pm

I'm doing a repair on my Plexi... and would like to get as accruat as possible with the wirings... Before I had 18awg all over the amp... except for the heaters, they are solid core of some kind... I'll keep those, but I want to swapp all the rest... since I don't think that 18awg was accurat... Do you know where I might find any chart where it says what gauge ( size ) the cables were in, in the different places, like preamp, ground, heaters, pots, jacks, preamptubes?
Or where they all in the same size?
Ralle
Peasant

Postby Unit_1 on Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:34 pm

Ralle wrote:I'm doing a repair on my Plexi... and would like to get as accruat as possible with the wirings... Before I had 18awg all over the amp... except for the heaters, they are solid core of some kind... I'll keep those, but I want to swapp all the rest... since I don't think that 18awg was accurat... Do you know where I might find any chart where it says what gauge ( size ) the cables were in, in the different places, like preamp, ground, heaters, pots, jacks, preamptubes?
Or where they all in the same size?

usually heaters, ground, power switches, biggo honkin power caps, output jacks and fuses are 18ga, and everything else is 22ga.

that's what i do for building amps, but i am in no way, shape, or form an expert with vintage marshall plexi's.

this is a pic of the plexi i built though (i love this amp). you can pretty much tell what are the thick, and what are the thin wires. maybe if you look up some gut shots of real vintage plexi's you may be able to verify which are the thick, and thin wires...? (on this amp, i put the 68k resistors directly on the input jacks and ran shielded 22ga wires from them ala hiwatt style, so even thought they look thick they're still 22ga)

Unit_1
Prince

Postby Ralle on Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:23 pm

Thanx for the info, Unit... I've been looking at some of the gut shots at amp archives, and from what it looks like, the wirers are 22awg pretty much all over, except for the hardwear cables... but eaven the heaters looks like 22's...
How about the leads within the cables? There seam to be different amounts and gauges... Any thoughts there?
Ralle
Peasant

Postby bill bokey on Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:30 pm

I just bought some from this site : http://modulusamplification.com/Strande ... ?sid=12886
It's very similar to the wire in the old amps.

Here's the new wire next to a '70 Superlead :

bill bokey
Court Jester

Postby Unit_1 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:17 pm

hey, you know what.....? sometimes i can be dense.....

http://metroamp.com/wiki/index.php/50_Watt_Kit_Instructions

http://metroamp.com/wiki/index.php/100_Watt_Kit_Instructions

these links are to metroamps full instructions for either the 50 or the 100 watt kits that he used to sell. his amps have been billed as being as close as possible to the real mccoy, and are what i loosely followed while building mine

these are seriously detailed and should answer any and all questions about either model!

Unit_1
Prince

Postby Ralle on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:27 pm

Great info, Unit... Thanx alot... I read the Metro site wiki... but it doesn't say anything about the gauge, only the colours... part from the heater wirers...
But that other site look awesome... I'll check that out...
Thanx man...
Ralle
Peasant

Postby Unit_1 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:06 pm

Ralle wrote:Great info, Unit... Thanx alot... I read the Metro site wiki... but it doesn't say anything about the gauge, only the colours... part from the heater wirers...
But that other site look awesome... I'll check that out...
Thanx man...

those links are to .pdf documents that are like 40 pages of detailed instruction on what steps to take in what order to build the kit. totally awesome resource!

Unit_1
Prince

Postby custom_amp_30 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:54 am

A few years back I went to Mendelson's Electronic in Dayton Ohio where there where floors of old electronics to include a section of the store that had large rolls of cloth covered wiring. My last visit was in June 2007 and they where then talking about moving the store which was a complete city block of items old and new. That may be a place to get original, period correct wiring as asked for in a very early post.. Good luck and hope this helps someone out in the future.

:thumbsup:
custom_amp_30
Peasant

Return to Do It Yourself Amp Builders