Try this out-(minimalist rig)

Contemporary amp builders and manufacturers.

Try this out-(minimalist rig)

Postby hooligan guitars on Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:08 pm

Actually 2 or 3 points to mention:
But 1st,cork-sniffers, just go ahead and back-arrow the browser,ty. :shhh: B'Bye.

Now,as a former/recent vintage,british,tube-only guy forever,If what Im about to suggest is coming from me,of all people,there could be something here...

Got a Vox amplug Lead for Christmas-Holy Sh..this thing sounds decent for what it is. And even challenges some full-on amps. Enough to make for an amp in it's own right. I've recorded with it direct, Ive played it through el-cheapo PC speakers,and I've even run it through my old Tube head. Bad Ass.
The thing has me completely re-thinking my opinion on SS,analog amps.

It's also gotten me thinking of all kinds of other applications for it-
Soon as I can get hold of one, Im going to try to run it through a EH 22 caliber-then into a 4x12.
That simple: Gtr> Amplug>22 caliber>4x12 cab. That could be the makings of one heck of a simple,light-weight,inexpensive live rig just for giggles. (and no, I have no need whatsoever for 10210304505 effects,reverbs,and a half-dozen dirty/clean flip flops,so this would do just fine,tyvm.)

Also,In my re-thinking of the possibilities of SS amps,I've recently heard about/begun looking at - Ampeg SS140C/SL 502's and Randall RH50/150/300 G3s.
Any info on these? Good/bad or otherwise? Found one of each for sale recently in the $200 ball-park,so am contemplating one of these as a back-up to my usual Tube rigs.
:jam:
hooligan guitars
Peasant

Re: Try this out-(minimalist rig)

Postby Sean Camp on Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:51 pm

EH 22 caliber and an amp modeler of some kind sounds like a good idea. I think EH also makes a more powerful 44, but depending on price I'd rather have two 22's and a stereo 4-12. My amp modeler and an Ampeg bass combo has gotten me through many gigs when my both my 'Real' amps were being serviced. To go small try a Boss "Bassman"pedal with a Tube Screamer in front and power with one of the EH pocket amps. They are all about the same size and might be able to be run on a singe wall wart with a high enough current rating if the 'stomp amp' is 9v also.
Let us know what you end up using and how it sounds.
Love Ya, Buh-By.
Sean Camp
Page

Postby Benjamin408 on Mon May 16, 2011 7:49 pm

Those old ampeg SS amps are KILLER for metal tones - a bunch of the big death metal bands in the 90s used them. The clean tone is pretty flat, as you can expect with SS amps in general. I really recommend them for heavy music though, they're cheap and have crunchy supersaturated gain for DAYS
Benjamin408
Peasant

Postby Sean Camp on Tue May 17, 2011 2:42 pm

Thanx Benjamin408 I agree that for Very Metal, as I call it ,solid state CAN deliver excellent over the top grind and sustain and I have used solid state amps on many a gig and gotten very good tone. Now, I want to experiment with computer modeling and small as in pedal sized set ups to use on minimalist jams that can cover the widest variety of tones for the semi-pro player who wishes to leave his expensive(and heavy) collectibles at home. Rock On Man
Love Ya, Buh-By.
Sean Camp
Page

Return to Modern Guitar Amps and Builders