Amps, gigging

Contemporary amp builders and manufacturers.

Amps, gigging

Postby Bigsbyman on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:56 pm

I've been using my Matchless H/C-30 at our weekly gig for the past few months now. Haven't really used this rig for a long time. I love the sounds, I love the two channels (I use the right channel for solos, the left channel for everything else). I wish the Matchless 2x12 cabinet was a closed back design. For the past six months I've been pointing my cabinet towards the wall behind the stage so it doesn't create a hotspot in the audience.

Prior to bring the Matchless out, I had been using a JMP 50-watt MV with a pair of Greenbacks in a JCM-800 era 1936 cabinet. Both are fairly worn, and I love them for their simplicity and R&R tones and style. I'm starting to miss using a Marshall on stage (although I usually get a compliment about the Matchless rig each night). Might ressurrect the small Marshall rig.

In Nov I have a moderately high-exposure gig with a great local, iconic, band. I think I have to bring a half stack out for that. Probably gonna bring my '72 JMP 50-watt non-MV and a 4x12 with Greenbacks. That rig ROCKS!!!

Anyone else rotate different amps in & out of their live rig?
'64 JMI Vox AC30 with original alnico blues, '72 JMP 50-watt w/4x12 Greenbacks, '76 Lead & Bass combo (tan 25-watt Celestions), '76 Superlead with TV 4x12 (greenbacks), '78 2204 with Marshall 2x12 cab (Greenbacks), '78 Hylight DR504/SA4123, '79 Fawn 2204 50-watt w/matching Fawn 4x12 (tan 25-watt Celestions), 1970's Marshall 1982AP cabinet (black back 30-watt Celestions), Matchless D/C-30, Traynor, Garnet, Leslie, Bacino, Gibson, Fender, Gretsch, Rickenbacker, Trussart, Dano, Dobro

http://www.timcaseyandthemartyrs.com
Bigsbyman
Squire

Re: Amps, gigging

Postby 57lpjr on Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:22 pm

Why not use both rigs? Use an A/B/Y bot to run them both...
I have more gear than I need...but not as much gear as I want...

"Roll over Woodstock - we won!" & "Music is life, and life is not a business." (Iggy Pop 3/15/10)

"but lately one or two has fully paid their due for working for the clampdown...HAH, Gitalong, Gitalong"

"I believe, believe, believe, that there's better days ahead. I believe, believe, believe, that there's a heaven before I'm dead."

"I'll play for free but I gotta get paid for breaking my s**t down at the end of the night"
57lpjr
Ampmeister

Postby Bigsbyman on Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:05 pm

I use an AB box to change channels on my Matchless. So I'd need an ABC switch to use the Matchless with another amp. Plus, I'd have to move two rigs. At this point in life, I'm not terribly interested in moving two rigs for the type of gigs I perform at.
'64 JMI Vox AC30 with original alnico blues, '72 JMP 50-watt w/4x12 Greenbacks, '76 Lead & Bass combo (tan 25-watt Celestions), '76 Superlead with TV 4x12 (greenbacks), '78 2204 with Marshall 2x12 cab (Greenbacks), '78 Hylight DR504/SA4123, '79 Fawn 2204 50-watt w/matching Fawn 4x12 (tan 25-watt Celestions), 1970's Marshall 1982AP cabinet (black back 30-watt Celestions), Matchless D/C-30, Traynor, Garnet, Leslie, Bacino, Gibson, Fender, Gretsch, Rickenbacker, Trussart, Dano, Dobro

http://www.timcaseyandthemartyrs.com
Bigsbyman
Squire

Postby Bern1 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:06 am

Yes I rotate amps in and out of live gigging, just like guitars. If I could realistically do it with women, I would do it too!
Bern1
Court Jester

Postby Unit_1 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:35 am

Bern1 wrote:Yes I rotate amps in and out of live gigging, just like guitars. If I could realistically do it with women, I would do it too!

i've tried that. wanted to keep them all - that can get expen$ive!!!!!
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Re: The Enhancer combo amp stand.

Postby 2handtrixx on Mon May 27, 2013 4:03 pm

Bigsbyman wrote:I've been using my Matchless H/C-30 at our weekly gig for the past few months now. Haven't really used this rig for a long time. I love the sounds, I love the two channels (I use the right channel for solos, the left channel for everything else). I wish the Matchless 2x12 cabinet was a closed back design. For the past six months I've been pointing my cabinet towards the wall behind the stage so it doesn't create a hotspot in the audience.

Prior to bring the Matchless out, I had been using a JMP 50-watt MV with a pair of Greenbacks in a JCM-800 era 1936 cabinet. Both are fairly worn, and I love them for their simplicity and R&R tones and style. I'm starting to miss using a Marshall on stage (although I usually get a compliment about the Matchless rig each night). Might ressurrect the small Marshall rig.

In Nov I have a moderately high-exposure gig with a great local, iconic, band. I think I have to bring a half stack out for that. Probably gonna bring my '72 JMP 50-watt non-MV and a 4x12 with Greenbacks. That rig ROCKS!!!

Anyone else rotate different amps in & out of their live rig?

I always do that with a combo of some sort. I'd rather have it
plume & billow off the walls.
Exceptions are high ceilings where the sound to cut through is lost.

2 speaker combos are better that they move more air, yes.

Which is the main point, to be heard through or on top of other frequencies.
I use the ½ stack for gigs, but combo's for open-mic's.
I've found that the "Enhancer" allows me to reverse-think that approach
of facing the amp towards the wall. It allows me to use less volume with more cut through.

Capturing the open-back tones and throwing it forward sure does help fatten one's sound and
in a compact scenario less equipment to produce more takes efficiency.
Without sounding scientific your fighting (hidden) frequencies...

(Easy to make,too.)
2handtrixx
Peasant

Return to Modern Guitar Amps and Builders