HOW TO RECOGNIZE PARMEKO,ALBION AND HADDON TRANSFORMERS ?

AC4, AC10, AC10 Twin, AC10 Reverb Twin, AC15, AC15 Twin, AC30 Twin, AC30 Super Twin, Top-Boost, Non-Top-Boost, AC50, AC100, 710, 760, 7120

Re: HOW TO RECOGNIZE PARMEKO,ALBION AND HADDON TRANSFORMERS

Postby EBEEP on Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:19 pm

Strat59 wrote:Any ideas what these might be ?? :cheers:

I'm sure you already know by now, but at least your output transformer can certainly be identified as Albion. Not sure about choke or power transformers unfortunately.

Anyone had the opportunity to do a side-by-side comparison of say, Woden, Albion, or Parmeko stocked AC30s with all else being relatively equal? If so, want to offer subjective/vague tonal comparisons for us please!?!
I'm extremely curious as I'm about to buy a JMI grey-panel integrated TB, but have never plugged into one and won't be able to until after it's all said and done. Sometimes living in the US is a drag! As there are a few good examples available, I've decided to base my choice on transformers. Please help!
myspace.com/beepbeep
EBEEP
Certified

Postby jcshirke on Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:37 pm

I'm fortunate to own JMIs with Woden, Albion and Haddon trannys. I've been making some clips lately to compare the amps head to head. Unfortunately, imo, it's not really possible to pin the differences in tone between the amps *just* on the transformers. There are other factors to take into consideration, too, namely how many of the other components of the amp are original, and how far they have drifted from spec, etc. I think all of my amps have had the filter caps replaced. Some amps have mostly original tone caps and resistors, and, I think, one of the amps (the Woden amp) has had a lot of components replaced. Maybe someone would think it sounds the best for that very reason, though.

Anyway, if it'll help you, I'd be willing to share the clips I've made--and, I will be making more shortly.

Jeff
jcshirke
Page

Postby EBEEP on Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:29 am

Oh yes, that would be very helpful indeed!

Clips Clips Clips!

I can message you w/ my email, but I'm sure others would be very pleased to hear these as well; so if you have a way to host them and post links (youtube or whatnot), that would be ideal.

Understandable on pinpointing the differences, especially when you throw Haddons in the mix as I assume that they are in a comparatively earlier machine and so possibly a different circuit. Filter caps are inevitable as well, along with drifting cap values on top of the myriad of minor circuit changes JMI implemented over such a short span of time, but I'm ok with the non-scientific generalizing as I know it could never be apples-to-apples.

Also, your opinion, observations, etc. are equally valuable as some aspects can't be captured very effectively on a recording; in particular, the two I'm most concerned with: compression and chime... with harsh treble and exaggerated dynamic range being on the opposite end of the spectrum. Recordings can be very forgiving with both of these, but standing in front of the amp can be a whole different story! Whacking chords on a tele through a twin reverb comes to mind as a fine example of the latter.

So, yes Jeff, bring on the clips!
myspace.com/beepbeep
EBEEP
Certified

Postby jcshirke on Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:52 pm

Ebeep--

Clips coming soon. Is there anything you'd like to hear--like you said, Tele (or Les Paul, Strat, P-90s equipped guitar, Gretsch, Rick, etc. etc.) straight in? Do you want me just to bash out some chords? Clean or dirty? Or Both? Single note lines?

I have a new mic coming today, so that's one thing I've been waiting on before replying.

Thanks,

Jeff
jcshirke
Page

Postby EBEEP on Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:01 am

Did you get the Royer 101?
I can't thank you enough for doing this; very exciting!
Since you asked, tele bridge pickup chord bashing w/some open strings, some arpeggiation, + whatever you'd like to play would be great; cleanish to almost dirty single-coil chime and sizzle is where the magic is at for my ears.
I'm curious to see if these clips affect my desire for top boost... is it your Fawn '62 that's providing your preferred recorded tone?
myspace.com/beepbeep
EBEEP
Certified

Postby jcshirke on Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:09 am

I found a great deal on a Royer 121, so I grabbed it. Can't wait to try it out.

I have two non-TB AC30s, and that fawn is one of them. It has Wodens. The other one is a treble model with Albions that sounds great with a Tele.

For TB amps, I have one with Wodens, one with Haddons, and one with Albions. Did you want me to use those also, or are you mostly interested in non-TB amps?

I had an absolutely killer non-TB with Wodens that I sold to help me get the fawn. Maybe some day it'll come back to me. We'll see. ;)

Jeff
jcshirke
Page

Postby dansan on Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:37 am

what is the effect on the value of the amp, to have an Albion, instead of a Woden in a copper panel AC30 ?

I mean : is there one more valuable than the other, or it's same value at the moment they are original part ?
dansan
Peasant

Postby Grog on Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:29 pm

As long as the transformers are original I dont believe there is any difference in price in having one or other of the different makes.
AC30 Super Twin(1963) S/N 9952N Rear Panel TB Head, Dynamic Bass (1968) #1153, AC30CCH, V212BN 1 x Alnico Blue 1 x Wharfdale, VBM1, AC4TV, Marshall JTM312, Gibson 347(1987), Les Paul Custom, US Fender Telecaster and Stratocaster, CIJ Jaguar HH.

http://www.myspace.com/fishheads2

The Colin Staples Blues Jam, Every Wednesday at The Navigation, Wilford St, Nottingham.
Grog
Baron

Postby dansan on Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:32 am

Thanks for the answer Grog :thumbsup:
dansan
Peasant

Postby Ludo on Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:21 pm

I'm looking for a original OT to restore my '65 AC30. Can somebody help me with this. (Please no more Mercury's)
Ludo
Peasant

Postby Classic Rocker on Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:07 am

Did anyone hear the sound clips or get any information regarding sound differences between transformers?

Thanks
Classic Rocker
Peasant

Postby norbert on Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:39 am

Guys, what do you suppose these OTs are, from a couple of AC30s I'm considering buying:

First is a copper panel I'm guessing to be a '63:

The PT and choke are Woden, so it saddens me a bit not to see a matching Woden OT. This is pretty clearly a replacement, I think, but let me know your thoughts and how you think it impacts the value.

And then there's this one from another AC30 I'm looking at, a grey-panel which I guess to be a '65:

Looks legit, but what exactly is it? I don't recognize it from any of the pics in this thread.

Cheers!
norbert
Certified

Postby bhedberg on Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:35 pm

To be quite honest. I swapped my original Woden out for a Mercury magnetics for a short time and I personally heard no difference between the two. The amplifier sounded great with both.

So if the replacement trannies you have are spec'd right then it will be fine. If you NEED to have matching just for the sake of it then you will likely find one on the internet but it will not be cheap.

Do you have any shots of the transformers in question form underneath?
bhedberg
Peasant

Postby API on Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:02 pm

Could anyone tell me what the color codes are on the primary side of a Woden mains transformer from December 1963?
1966 JTM45/100, 1967 "1959" Super Lead, 1967 "1961" JMP 4x10" Mk I Bluesbreaker, 1967 "1962" JMP 2x12" Mk I Bluesbreaker, 1967 "1973" Master Reverb 18w combo, 1963 AC30, 1964 AC15 Twin, 1963 Watkins Dominator, 1965 Princetone Reverb, 1957 Gibson GA-40 Les Paul, 1962 Gibson GA-40 LP, 1962 Epiphone Pathfinder
API
Page

Postby pdf64 on Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:53 pm

My Woden PT (date code AV) has
Red Common
White 115
Blue 160
Black 205
Green 225
Purple 245
My band:-http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand