Value of my Vox AC30 Coppertop

AC4, AC10, AC10 Twin, AC10 Reverb Twin, AC15, AC15 Twin, AC30 Twin, AC30 Super Twin, Top-Boost, Non-Top-Boost, AC50, AC100, 710, 760, 7120

Value of my Vox AC30 Coppertop

Postby voxmanjohn on Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:52 am

I own a 1963 Vox AC30 with coppertop panel and blue alnico speakers.

It is not completely original but potentially looking to sell. Just trying to find out its worth.

Spec:
Circa 1962-63.
Coppertop control panel.
Its the Treble model.
It has 1 original blue alnico speaker and 1 reissue celestion alnico speaker.
It has a reissue egg footswitch.
It has been rehoused in a 90s vox AC30 cab.
Serial no on the chassis s/n 03545

Anymore info please ask. I am in the UK so would like a value in GBP.

Cheers.
voxmanjohn
Peasant

Re: Value of my Vox AC30 Coppertop

Postby Dean Jr. on Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:32 pm

What is that original blue worth over there? Are the transformers original? IF the transformers are original, then the chassis is worth more than if not....I like to state the obvious. :old: :lol: :cheers:
You have a little bit of change in the two speakers....more for the vintage Blue than the modern, I would think. There has to be some value in the chassis......but there has to be more information known before one could make any estimate and as you note...one would need to know the market there...not here. So...I am bumping with a lowball guesstimate.....$600USD.
Maybe that will get you some more informed responses...but one would need to know more about the originality of the major components on that chassis. :wink:
Dean Jr.
Page

Postby vintagekiki on Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:01 pm

Every amplifier and as the 1963 Vox AC30 with coppertop panel and blue alnico speakers has some real value only if In mint condition, or if it is neatly maintained and serviced with original parts (replacement tubes, potentiometers and capacitors )

Any kind of intervention (service transformers, speakers) replacement Vinyl, Grill Cloth, Hardware etc. drastically reduces the $$ value of the amplifier because it removes the amplifier from the original, or from the collector's specimen.

From your list few are from the original 1963 Vox AC30 (one blue alnico, coppertop control panel,
chassis s/n 03545)
Everything else is reissue, not original vox AC30 cab ...
Really speaking the remains of the 1963 Vox AC30, reissue parts do not have the value that the owner expects.

There is a question of what to do with them.
Making a Vox replica project is a financially impossible mission.
The only solution is to use as service parts for replacement

The old rule says
The customer is always expensive and the seller is always cheap
And now the most important question is how much to get $$.
Maybe for a whole 100 to 150 $ with long time waiting for the interested buyer.

For you as a owner it may be solution the rest of the 1963 Vox AC30 offer in some exchange for something what you need as a musician needs

Useful link
https://themoneyconverter.com/

Edit
I do not know if I good understood post.
Whether the 1963 Vox AC30 is in operational (working) state or is in parts.
If it is in working condition, with replaced (new) tubes, real price for the end customer is $ 500
vintagekiki
Certified

Postby Dean Jr. on Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:18 pm

Imho, if the original transformers are there, there has to be more than $150USD there....if that new Celestion Alnico is English made, then there is a bit of money in that new thing. The old Blue is worth more than $150 if it is working. I would give more for this amp...if the transformers are original...than I would a used modern Vox that was made in Asia...if I wanted a Vox. How much more?? I don't know...but if this amp walked up to me today for $150, I just bought it. And...I am not a Vox fanatic. $200.....sold. $300....I gotta hear the speakers and know what they are.
but...as I said in my first post....we don't have nearly enough info to make much of an estimate...just a guesstimate.....based on 'ifs'.
Dean Jr.
Page

Postby Dave_in_Va. on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:00 pm

If it works and sounds fine and the transformers are original, then at least 700 to 1100 pounds.
Dave_in_Va.
Court Jester

Postby vintagekiki on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:46 pm

When evaluating the individual value of an amplified component (transformer, loudspeaker, etc.) one a value of the original new (non-embedded) part, and quite the other value of the same part that was in exploitation.
With used parts, regardless of the vintage of a period, it is difficult to ascertain whether there are any hidden faults, how many times have survived some form of failure ... ...

For a loudspeaker if serviced, the winding resistance can be determined. It can not be established how this winding is placed in the magnetic field. How much the magnet itself has used and eventually has lost its properties. How much membrane has lost its original elasticity.

Transformers are a special story. Any overload due to failure can lead to mild damage to interlayer insulation, over time
insulation wire knows discounts, short coil winding occurs, and the appearance of the correct transformer is not for use.

When making any estimates, the main reper is the price of a new "old stock" part.
It's a new part from some period, it has never been embedded and that's why it has that price.
The part that is extracted from an amplifier, is used part, unknown how much work, and realistic price is 20% of the new non-built part.
No matter what 20% looks like somebody little, at that price should be added service workbench cost.

And the main thing.
The seller made a deal, buyer takes over all the risk of exploitation used part on himself.

sorry
Translated by translate.google.com
vintagekiki
Certified

Postby vintagekiki on Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:16 pm

900 to 1,400 $ No way.

1963 Vox AC30, rehoused in a 90s vox AC30 cab, reissue celestion alnico speaker, reissue egg footswitch ... ...
What is original from 1963 Vox AC30 ?

The best market for evaluation is ebay.
If you find a buyer for $ 900 to $ 1,400 job well done
vintagekiki
Certified

Postby LD50 on Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:31 am

If you look at the prices of collectors grade vs working tidy amps there is quite a range. Amps sold as basket cases seem to realise much more than I think they are worth.
If the blue is original with correct cone and working correctly it will be worth at least £200. The reissue around £100. Tidy cab will be worth £150 to £200.
Depending on condition and transformer type the copper top chassis might fetch £500.
So a conservative estimate if you break it would be £950. Oddly you will struggle to get £1000 in the current climate for a fully up and running amp with no issues.
Best of luck with the sale.
All bleeding stops.......eventually.
LD50
Prince

Postby vintagekiki on Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:56 pm

If you look at it each car and the amplifier will be cost a few times higher if it splits into parts and sells to a piece or a weight in kg.

Interesting link

http://www.kupujemprodajem.com/Vox-ac-30-1963-48173123-oglas.htm?filter_id=23
vintagekiki
Certified

Postby Dean Jr. on Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:57 pm

Isn't a Vox AC-30 from that time frame in exc and orig. condition worth quite a bit more than $1000 or pounds sterling?
I would think that this amp in proper working order would make a good player amp for someone and be worth 1000-1500GBP???
Dean Jr.
Page

Return to Vox