AC10 SRT BUILD SCHEMATIC ACCURACY

AC4, AC10, AC10 Twin, AC10 Reverb Twin, AC15, AC15 Twin, AC30 Twin, AC30 Super Twin, Top-Boost, Non-Top-Boost, AC50, AC100, 710, 760, 7120

Re: AC10 SRT BUILD SCHEMATIC ACCURACY

Postby Blind Lemon Chitlin on Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:55 pm

Thank you grod915..... I had looked for this OS/71 schematic in Jim's schematics but could not find it. Jim has OS/26 ( #'s 8 & 9 ) which at first glance you can tell were drawn by a very different person than OS/71. I almost have to question the validity of OS/71 as OS/72 is the closest one to it and it is an AC50, plus the errors that you pointed out when compared to #8. I have not put a lot of time into it, but I have so far not detected any difference between #8 and #9 in Jim' s schematics....most likely some very small change.

I would be especially interested in chatting a bit with DrDeath on his amp and the work he performed. I see some missing components on his tag board and as he explained he did remove a couple of components and installed a slightly different reverb circuit with the Hammond 1750A reverb tranny. I am really interested in his circuit; Possibly he will PM me on this. I would also like to see pics of the back side of the tag board to note any connections on back... :dunno:
"The Little Amp Builder" who "Big Brother" V*x / K*RG thought needed to be "Policed"

"Big Brother is Watching You"
George Orwell's - 1984
Blind Lemon Chitlin
Knight

Postby Dr Death on Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:13 pm

Hi everyone, it seems this amp has awoken interest again and although I still have mine it is likely as not going to the States if the guy can get his act together.
I'll try and answer the questions that have been poised and to kick off with "grod915" and the schematics. Unfortunately when I ordered that fabulous VOX book by JIm Eylea I did not order the version that housed all the schematics one hears about, so version #8 is a mystery to me. I took pen to paper and rigorously produced a layout, which then using os/71 I checked for accuracy and in doing so attached the correct numbering system (as per OS/71) to the components I had sketched. I can certainly agree with two observations and that is
the change to the input side of things and also the correct way of connecting R7 by going to the lhs of C7.The rest I cannot comment on since I dod not notice them being different or it could have been me missing them. The end result of that was a half decent layout diagram, which is yet to be finished, hence it's none appearance here.
Next, to quickly answer "pullshocks", sorry but no, I did not take any voltage readings.
Moving onto the Reverb, (as per Jim Eylea's book) it stated that not all went out with a reverb fitted - All I know is that mine has the "IN" and "OUT" cabling but no reverb tray. I explained what I did in the earlier reply, but to be a bit more meaningful, I........
1. Removed R31 (100K) and connected the primary side of the Fender Reverb Tranny to the tags on either side of the board.
2. Removed C19 (0.01uf) and straped across the tags connection, which meant the Reverb "IN" cables remain and all I needed to do was connect one of the secondary wires from the Fender Reverb Tranny upto where the C19 connection was. whilst the other side went to chassis ground. The Reverb "OUT" cable stayed in place. I located the reverb tray in the bottom of the head cabinet ensuring no physical interference from the valves/tubes So you see, a simple yet effective mod that caused little change to the underlying circuit and gavea truly nice reverb effect.
Dr Death
Peasant

Postby Blind Lemon Chitlin on Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:30 pm

Made it to page 2 !!! Thank You Dr. Death. This was the info I was after. I am in process of building a prototype of this amp now and plan to incorporate these reverb changes . Thanks again,

BLC :D
"The Little Amp Builder" who "Big Brother" V*x / K*RG thought needed to be "Policed"

George Orwell's - 1984
Blind Lemon Chitlin
Knight

Postby Blind Lemon Chitlin on Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:41 pm

Would it be possible for DrDeath or another member to measure their AC10SRT chassis ?? I want to compare the measurements to a blank fender type chassis to see which would be the closest to the original SRT. Possibly a Princeton or a Deluxe type blank . Thanks :jam:

George Orwell's - 1984
Blind Lemon Chitlin
Knight

Postby Dr Death on Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:37 am

Much as i would like to provide the dimensional info I no longer have the amp - Sorry 'bout that.
Dr Death
Peasant

Postby gusfinley on Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:29 am

Blind Lemon Chitlin wrote:Would it be possible for DrDeath or another member to measure their AC10SRT chassis ?? I want to compare the measurements to a blank fender type chassis to see which would be the closest to the original SRT.

It's a bit of a pain, but sometimes you can get a good estimate by using known measurements ( 1/2" switch bushings, 1/4" jack holes, tagboard width, etc). Sometimes I copy and paste items of known dimensions (copied from and pasted within the same photo) in layers using photoshop/gimp and add up the known lengths.
gusfinley
Knight

Postby vintagekiki on Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:34 am

vintagekiki
Certified

Postby gusfinley on Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:55 am

gusfinley wrote:It's a bit of a pain, but sometimes you can get a good estimate by using known measurements ( 1/2" switch bushings, 1/4" jack holes, tagboard width, etc). Sometimes I copy and paste items of known dimensions (copied from and pasted within the same photo) in layers using photoshop/gimp and add up the known lengths.

Using this method I get a range of chassis length: 20 - 21 inches, chassis width: 6 to 6.5 inches. Of course, there is always some distortion in the pictures so it hard to get this exact but it gives you a ballpark figure, if that helps.

A blank brownface deluxe or blackface princeton chassis might work.
gusfinley
Knight

Postby Blind Lemon Chitlin on Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:41 am

THANKS gusfinley !!! This will give me enough of an idea to get a little closer... I had decided that somewhere around 17.5 to 19 inches would be close..

BLC :jam:

George Orwell's - 1984
Blind Lemon Chitlin
Knight

Previous

Return to Vox