LOOK: think it's legit / major issues? '76 Ricky 4001

Safe haven for everything low-frequency. Bass players unite in this forum.

LOOK: think it's legit / major issues? '76 Ricky 4001

Postby Pacafeliz on Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:30 am

hey guys... i've always dreamed of owning an old rickenbacker 4001 bass, but they're all too expensive.

so now one has popped up on my mexican auction site, for about $650. seems to be a '76 model, refinned and with some issues. sez the neck is slightly curved and he doesn't have the 2 trussrod keys needed. repro pickguard and 2 new tuners. but electronics work and are original.

take a look at the pics.

should i... or do you see other issues, or could it be a fake? note the black part on the lover rick logo where the model number and made in usa is written...

lemme know ASAP, please!

Pat.

ps: or... i could part it out, worst case scenario... :oops:
oaklandanny too wrote:Pat...
This is way late in posting... but I want to say that she's beautiful, man!!! You are blessed and the world will be a better place because of your little girl. Mark my words... She will live in a better world than we live in now... because she will help change it. God bless!!!!

RIP OaklandDanny, thanks for EVERYTHING! God bless you, always!
Pacafeliz
King

Re: LOOK: think it's legit / major issues? '76 Ricky 4001

Postby 1953Vintage on Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:37 pm

Hey Pat... I hope this finds you well!!

There are "issues" and there are "issues." I've been told by guitar techs I trust that you should never buy an instrument without strings on it. The Rick basses have double truss rods; find out if there's still plenty of movement in them both. Not having a socket is sort of odd; they're pretty easy to find.

Sure, I could be seeing smoke where there's no fire, but better safe than sorry.

Kindest regards!
Michael
1953Vintage
Baron

Postby 1953Vintage on Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:37 pm

Hey Pat... I hope this finds you well!!

There are "issues" and there are "issues." I've been told by guitar techs I trust that you should never buy an instrument without strings on it. The Rick basses have double truss rods; find out if there's still plenty of movement in them both. Not having a socket is sort of odd; they're pretty easy to find.

Sure, I could be seeing smoke where there's no fire, but better safe than sorry. Wouldn't want your dream to be a nightmare.

Kindest regards!
Michael
Visit the Sound City Site!
1953Vintage
Baron

Postby 1953Vintage on Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:38 pm

Sorry for the double post... :oops:
Visit the Sound City Site!
1953Vintage
Baron

Postby Big_Stu on Tue May 11, 2010 2:40 am

I'm no Rick expert by a long stretch, but I have spent a lot of time drooling after one & seen a fair few Ebay faker auctions.
If it has two truss-rods then chances are stronger that it's genuine, though there was at least one copy that went that far. I'd be wondering why it has a bow if both truss-rods are working.

Another thing to watch for is that the binding breaks behind the bridge/tailpiece meets the edge, ie. it doesn't go all the way around the back. AFAIK there are no exceptions to that rule. There'll probably be a bass or two on Ebay with good pics to compare to.

Nope, never seen a TRC with that black band either.

Hi Michael, hope all is well with you!!
Big_Stu
Squire

Postby Pacafeliz on Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:31 pm

thanks guys!

well long story short - the guy still has it. and i'm really tempted to bite the hook.
he's even lowering the price.

some more pics:

yes the bass has been completely refinished (not very pro, but i want a PLAYER)

non original:
- finish
- pickguard
- 3-way selector switch
- one knob/hat
- 2 tuners

so... should i?!
thanks,

Pat.
This is way late in posting... but I want to say that she's beautiful, man!!! You are blessed and the world will be a better place because of your little girl. Mark my words... She will live in a better world than we live in now... because she will help change it. God bless!!!!

Pacafeliz
King

Postby Alsteen on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:56 pm

I'm gonna say that it's real. You can get new truss rods for it if it's really bad. Here is an over view of changing them out. Gonna need some work I think ....
Nowhere is there warmth to be found among those afraid of losing their ground

Listen to some Bad Art?
Alsteen
Page

Postby Painterman on Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:01 am

I thought I chimed in on this a while back.

That's one of the sketchiest looking Rics I've ever seen. I'd pass on that - mostly due to the fact that the binding goes behind the bridge.

Just go on fleabay and look at the bindings on Ric bodies - and how it drops off at the bridge..

I just picked up an '77 Ibanez 2388B from Rumbleseat. It's a bolt-on - but it plays and sounds like any other Ric - and for $600 it was a no-brainer.

Pic is too wide to post - so look at it here --> http://rumbleseatmusic.com/images/full% ... BMaple.jpg
Sir Bobby Painterman - Knight of the Plexi Palace. (It only took me 8.5 years...)
Painterman
Knight

Postby Pacafeliz on Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:09 am

yeah i'm definitely gonna pass on this one. too many risks.
thanks guys!!!

oh wow that "lawsuit" ricky is nice. lately i'm having a big thing for those old copy/clones...
but since i just picked up a beat to crap '63 Fender VI, i think i'm not looking for more projects in the immediate future... heh

thanks again, y'all!

Pat.

Pacafeliz
King

Return to Bass Talk