Gibson "The Ripper" bass

Safe haven for everything low-frequency. Bass players unite in this forum.

Gibson "The Ripper" bass

Postby The How on Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:32 pm

Any of you guys know much about these basses. mid 70's I think they were
Warning Level (1)
The How
none

Re: Gibson "The Ripper" bass

Postby dronevil on Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:30 pm

I just bought a 1976 tobaccoburst Ripper last month so I'm hardly an authourity on them but would love to help if at all possible. What would you like to know?
dronevil
Peasant

Postby Fly Guitars on Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:18 pm

The Gibson Ripper is a great bass. Gibson had been mahogany through and through until the early seventies, when they started trying a few new ideas. The Ripper was pretty much a traditional Gibson bass (set neck, humbuckers, varitone) but long scale and all maple (initially).

They made the Grabber and G3 shortly afterwards, and in the same shape, and they too have their fans, but of the three I vote Ripper every time.

The pickup wires seem a little flimsy (in fact the wiring seems to be generally prone to lose connections) and some used basses have electrical problems, although usually nothing unfixable.

Fantastic bass, well worth checking out.
The Gibson Bass website has moved | Vintage guitar and bass website
Fly Guitars
Peasant

Postby theecricket on Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:19 pm

I bought and got ripped off on Ebay... one because I've always wanted one. I got a '74 Ripper in non functioning order.

I have since bought all the parts to get it back to somewhat original function but after about 9 months of moaning I think I'm going to wire it strait and forget the mid choke and variable tone switch for now. I want to play this beast!

One word of advise, if you do get a Ripper without a case don't buy a case on line without measuring your Ripper first! :cheers:
theecricket
Peasant

Postby dronevil on Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:12 pm

Picked up a 1976 Gibson Grabber to match my Ripper....matching year was unintentional, honest. :lol: It just arrived so I've only had the chance to play it once so far but I love the growly tone. A bit different than the Ripper considering the bolt on neck and single sliding humbucker but lovely nonetheless.
dronevil
Peasant

Postby ayh on Thu May 13, 2010 3:27 pm

Always thought they were ugly as heck
My former wife inherited one last year. We had a friend in Switzerland known as Cactus.A great guy who always above & beyond the call to make sure we had everything we needed over there gear-wise.He used to go on the road & help us with merchandise & gear. He succumbed to lung cancer.He had no real family but lots of real friends .When cleaning out his apartment it was agreed by all the friends that she should have Cactus' bass.
It came with the orig. case. Not all the switch positions work ,but the FAT one does ! Im not sure what Im gonna do about that yet ,I may wire it bridge/series/neck and see what happens
She let us borrow it on a couple trips there in Europe.Here's a shot of our man Fabio givin it a whirl
It was cool to have it on the road ,it was like having Cactus there

ayh
Motivational Speaker

Return to Bass Talk