BASS NERDS! small cabs?

Safe haven for everything low-frequency. Bass players unite in this forum.

BASS NERDS! small cabs?

Postby benjamindavismurphy on Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:11 pm

recommend good small/compact bass cabs.

no mystery that the classic 8x10 ampeg or a good 2x15 is optimal but really, lets face it i'm old and don't like lugging around lots of big heavy junk. i'm not looking to shatter the earth with massive grinding bass. i'm just looking for compact but powerful with a nice warm tone. i'd be using an early 80s japanese squire p-bass and powering it with a GK 800rb.

so far i have stumbled on this little bergantino 1x12 cab that sounds surprisingly nice, handles 400watts @ 8ohms and will fit in the passenger seat of my compact car. it's very promising! i just want to keep my options open for now. bare in mind i mainly play small to medium venues with ample PA. almost never am i in a situation where the bass is not mic'd or DI'd.
benjamindavismurphy
Baron

Re: BASS NERDS! small cabs?

Postby Happy Face on Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:22 pm

I've been goig out with 2x12" neo cabs which are pretty manageable.

A lot of folks are using the one 1x12"s with good results. But they usualy have a second one for larger venues, or clubs without PA support.
Happy Face
Page

Postby bassplayerbell on Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:21 am

I agree withthe 2X12. I ordered 2 from mesa and they are light. Lows of a 15" and punch of a 10". check these out!

bassplayerbell
Peasant

Postby worldoftone on Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:31 am

nice warm tone = i'd be using an early 80s japanese squire p-bass and powering it with a GK 800rb :?:

Hmmmm . . . :?

- WOT
The Ayatollah of uh-rock-and-uh-rollahhhhhh

worldoftone
Prince

Postby benjamindavismurphy on Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:23 am

worldoftone wrote:
nice warm tone = i'd be using an early 80s japanese squire p-bass and powering it with a GK 800rb :?:

- WOT

don't be a jerk.
benjamindavismurphy
Baron

Postby worldoftone on Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:47 am

BIGGER HEAVIER LOUDER HA HA HA HA

That being said, a lot of jazz guys over here use the Bergantinos and they seem to get the job done. They sound better with the modern 5 and 6 string basses w/active PUs than my vintage ones. I've played through a few of them. Sorry dude, GK and tone for me have never went together. I can't stand anything they make. But hey, that's just me.

I use the NEO 2 x 12 for small to medium clubs and they sound great with tube heads, have decent power handling and are fairly lightweight. It won't fit in the front seat of a car though. On larger gigs I bring out the heavy hitters (SVTs Marshalls etc.) because that's what it's all about. :jam: Bong rattling bass!

I also have a scaled down "emergency" cab . . . a Genz Benz 2 x 10 that fits in the trunk of my car. It will handle 200-watts or so. It's 8-ohms so I use my '63 Showman head with it. It will get the job done in a pinch, but it doesn't throw a lot of bottom.

- WOT

worldoftone
Prince

Postby sparki73 on Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:04 am

hi benjamin,
I scaled down everything in the past 2 years because of space in the tour-van and the fact that I (still) :wink: have to carry things by myself, hahah!
so i finally found the musicman rh115 cabs that I really like. they sound really big! the originally came with EV SRO´s or EVM´s and both sound great. Due to power issues I swapped in an eminece legend 15 and I am really amazed about the sound!

Try them, they are really cheap to get, at least in europe!

cheers, markus
sparki73
Certified

Postby The Golden Boy on Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:50 pm

benjamindavismurphy wrote:
worldoftone wrote:

- WOT

don't be a jerk.

I don't think it's too much of a "jerk" like response, it's pretty much truth. It's not from a perspective of looking down at the GK (and don't know anything about the intent of WOT regarding the Squier), but IME, the 800RBs aren't what I'd consider "warm." There's not a lot of low end that those things throw out- it's specialty is to be punchy, and it does that quite well. Combine that with the fact that they were designed to be biamped and not really run as a mono head.

I had a late 80s/early 90s model that I used for around 3-4 years. They're cool heads if they suit what you're doing and you use them within their specifications.
*Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*

"Who are you, and how did you get in here?"

"I'm a locksmith, and... I'm a locksmith."
The Golden Boy
Squire

Postby worldoftone on Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:01 pm

Squiers are OK, the earlier years the better. They sound alright and get the job done. I've had to gig with them before. I echo your comments on the GK.

- WOT

worldoftone
Prince

Postby joe_jr on Fri May 01, 2009 6:03 am

I recently decided to settle the issue of which smaller rig to have on hand when I need one and ended up with this

I especially like the small footprint, and the whole rig weighs 106.75 lbs. With two cabs it makes 1200W, and 600W with one. Could've easily gotten by with one cab, but I also want to use my old Traynor tube heads with the rig, so I got two.

I'm real happy with it.
joe_jr
Page

Postby worldoftone on Fri May 01, 2009 2:35 pm

Those are the cabs I'm using. For whatever reason, they sound great with tube heads.

- WOT

worldoftone
Prince

Postby Vortexion on Tue May 05, 2009 6:38 pm

Being the far side of 50 and prone to spinal problems, I use a pair of Bill Fitzmaurice (BFM) Omni 10.5 crossfires:

Lightweight, 250W handling per cab, and as loud as ***k! :mrgreen:

You have to build 'em yourself, though, or get in touch with an authorised builder. More details at Bill's website:

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/
Vortexion
Newt

Postby sunndemon on Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:47 am

I'd say +1 on those Genz-Benz 2x12" Neo vertical cabs: I don't own one, but I've tried them out in the store, they sound great and weigh very little. And stacking them in that manner is a plus; I remember an article by Rick Turner(noted guitar/bass builder and sound tech for the Grateful Dead)that was in Bass Player where he explained how a narrow vertical splay of speakers would provide more low end. Sorta like the set-up of the new bass amp line from T.C. Electronics.
sunndemon
Page

Postby glenng on Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:25 pm

Try a Markbass cabinet or combo. Small, light, great sound.
glenng
Peasant

Postby Crazykiwi on Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:53 am

If you play a 5 string bass, the BFM Omni 10.5's don't articulate the B string very well which is perfectly understandable given they only have 10" drivers.

http://www.barefacedbass.com/

You could give this guy some consideration, very light and very sensitive cabs and he offers a range of sizes. I don't own one but I think they're probably the best bass cabs on the market, made from off-the-shelf components.
Burman Pro501 (ex-Lindisfarne), Burman Pro 4000HD (1976?), Burman Pro4000HD (1984?) with 10 hours playing time, Burman GX3 preamp.
http://www.basschat.co.uk
Crazykiwi
Peasant

Next

Return to Bass Talk