reissue SVTs, what's the verdict?

Safe haven for everything low-frequency. Bass players unite in this forum.

reissue SVTs, what's the verdict?

Postby benjamindavismurphy on Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:02 pm

i've been seeing these popping up used which makes me wonder why. how do they compare (tonally, functionally and with regards to roadworthiness) to the slightly older "anniversary"?

...or to the SVT-CL?

i'm looking in the used market and want to be as educated of a consumer as can be.
benjamindavismurphy
Baron

Postby worldoftone on Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:07 am

I have the SVT-CL Anniversary like the one pictured above. Crappy Sovtek 6550 took a dump after 60-hours. Popped in an old RCA and we're back in business. I used it regularly for about a year, when I realized my Bassman 135 sounded better in the smaller clubs I usually play. Still use it for large stages. Have had no problems with it since the 6550 blew.

I bought the head new in 2006 when a local music store went out of business (bought out by GC) for $1,250

- WOT
The Ayatollah of uh-rock-and-uh-rollahhhhhh

worldoftone
Prince

Postby methodofcontrol on Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:18 pm

friend of mine had the black one you pictured at the bottom. used it in a touring band for several years with no issues that i know of. this was a loud hardcore band, so he was pushing the amp hard for at least 100 shows a year. he ended up getting rid of it in favor of an svt 3 pro. he said the all tube SVT sounded better at lower volumes, but at the volumes they were playing at, the difference between SS and tube was negligible, so he preferred an amp that was smaller/lighter/etc.
methodofcontrol
Knight

Postby Damocles74 on Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:06 pm

I've got the blue line Amped svt classic reissue.I dropped it almost as soon as I got it and need to take it to a tech because it pops and scratches when I turn the volume up.
/Step down lower,into the grave/
Damocles74
Court Jester

Postby poorboy on Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:02 pm

The CL and the AV are one in the same. It's a modern version of the original SVT. Really not too much in common with it. Doesn't sound anything like the original.
The RI is another attemp to capture the tone of the original SVT.
Closer, but not there.
For the money ,you'd be better off getting a real SVT. I'm talking an original. Nothing compairs to the original.
poorboy
Peasant

Re: reissue SVTs, what's the verdict?

Postby brycebites on Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:31 pm

Does anyone know what make (not type) of valves are shipped in the new amps?
http://www.hushtheband.com - UK Classic Rock Covers
brycebites
Certified

Re: reissue SVTs, what's the verdict?

Postby Painterman on Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:38 am

poorboy wrote:The CL and the AV are one in the same. It's a modern version of the original SVT. Really not too much in common with it. Doesn't sound anything like the original.

The RI is another attemp to capture the tone of the original SVT.

Closer, but not there.

For the money ,you'd be better off getting a real SVT. I'm talking an original. Nothing compairs to the original.

I agree! You can get a good 70s SVT head on ebay or craigslist for less than you'd pay for one of those new reissues. The reissues are made 'best cost' - ie - cheap parts and labor. The old Ampegs from the 70s are built much sturdier and with better parts/design. Oh - and they sound much better. These new amps sound OK - but really don't sound like a real SVT.
Sir Bobby Painterman - Knight of the Plexi Palace. (It only took me 8.5 years...)
Painterman
Knight

Return to Bass Talk