Low output P Bass pickups!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Safe haven for everything low-frequency. Bass players unite in this forum.

Low output P Bass pickups!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby chupy on Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:04 pm

Okay fellow nut jobs, I need a set of P Bass pickups, but im not looking for hot pickups. Something that has detail and dynamics. Here's what I play through, black face Bandmaster which I can't determine the year with a 2x12 or 4x12 cab or my friends 66 Dual Showman with a 4x12 or 2x12 cab. This is for rock and blues. Here's the specs on my bass's...

Bass 1
Reinforced maple neck with a maple fret board, with 6000 Dunlop frets 7/14 neck radius with a fat boat contour
Alder body standard P bass routing with a top loader bridge.

Bass 2
Non-reinforced maple neck with a rosewood fret board with 6150 Dunlop frets with a 10 inch neck radius C neck
Alder body with standard P bass routing with a top loader bridge.

So what would you all recommend for pickups? I will repeat I DO NOT WANT HOT PICKUPS, something with good detail and dynamics. I want to hear what im doing, not mud.

I will state this I found some no name brand pickups that sound pretty damn good that measure around 7.5K, a little bright, don't know what magnets are in em either. But they sound pretty good. I keep the tone knob rolled down to around 7 or 6. I wish I could find another set like them.

Everything I find is wound really to hot for the sound I want. I don’t want active pickups either. Im in a hurry and i’ll be buying Monday afternoon.
chupy

Postby chupy on Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:06 pm

I meant to say Showman not Dual Showman. There needs to be a edit button here.
chupy

Postby chupy on Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:40 pm

I will also state this, i've looked everywhere. Fralin, Seymour Duncan, Lollar he doesn't give out any spec's on his P Bass pickups :roll:, DiMarzio is not even close to what im looking for. No info on the Bartolini pickups. I looked at Guitar Fetish pickups, im astonished they didn’t have a low output P Bass pickup. I did find that the Rio Grande Vintage For P-Bass look very promising at 8.5k with A5 mag's, only problem is they don‘t say what kind of wire. Can't remember who else I looked at but i've been looking everywhere for the past week and searched here also. But the Rio Grande pickups look's like what im after.
chupy

Postby brycebites on Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:41 am

It might be worth you getting touch with Wizard Pickups http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk/shop.asp?category=Bass. They are handmade to order and so a custom winding is an easy thing to do.
brycebites
Certified

Postby chupy on Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:42 pm

brycebites wrote:It might be worth you getting touch with Wizard Pickups http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk/shop.asp?category=Bass. They are handmade to order and so a custom winding is an easy thing to do.

Got them in my favorites. Thank you. :thumbsup:
chupy

Postby chupy on Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:26 pm

Well I went with the Fender reissue P bass pickups. Someone was going to throw them away so I said if your just going to throw them away i'll take them. :shock: :roll: Hint never throw anything away, i'll take them off your hands for free. :lol:

For pickups that where free they aint too bad. With the amp's I use and the bass im using them with they get a nice chewy, clear sound. I can hear what im doing with no extra mids like hotter pickups. But they do have a warm character to them. Hey I like them!! Hard to describe tone, that's the best I can do. :lol:

Note, i've been using them for a few weeks now. Im using them with 500k pots, and a .022 Mallory cap. It works for me. My amps are dark, so I need to brighten the tone of the bass. Low output pickups, higher pots, and a brighter cap. Im happy 8)
chupy

Postby cerrem on Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:46 am

Bassed on what you are mentioned for the precision...you are describing the Duncan Quarter-Pounder pickup exactly.... It is punchy with good dynamics and it still sounds warm...and it isn't considered a HOT pick-up...

Best of Luck
Chris
1969 SVT Bass Amps x2 + 4 8x10 cabs...
1964 JTM-45 (GEC KT66)
1965 JTM-45/100 Super-Amp100W(GEC KT66)
1965 JTM-45/100 100W SuperPA (GEC KT66)
1967 Super Lead 100W (Mullard EL34)
1968 Super Bass 100W (Mullard EL34)
Various cabinets
100% EVH free
*****SEMPER FI*****
cerrem
Knight

Postby brycebites on Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:56 am

cerrem wrote:Bassed on what you are mentioned for the precision...you are describing the Duncan Quarter-Pounder pickup exactly.... It is punchy with good dynamics and it still sounds warm...and it isn't considered a HOT pick-up...

Best of Luck
Chris

That's interesting - all my experiences of the QP are that is is high output...
brycebites
Certified

Return to Bass Talk