Jason Lollar pickups for Fender basses

Safe haven for everything low-frequency. Bass players unite in this forum.

Jason Lollar pickups for Fender basses

Postby Painterman on Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:04 am

anyone using them?

I just ordered a set of jazz bass pups for a MIJ Lake Placid Blue Fender jazz bass w/ matching headstock. The bass looks cool - feels good - plays nice - but needs something else... I figured new pups. I dont' believe in routing an instrument - so any after-market pups that require routing are right out.

Is there anyone else using aftermarket PUPs in their Fenders? Anyone using Lollars?

I love the Lollars that MrHorvath has in his Nash tele - and I put a pair of the same in my blue floral RI tele. I figure his bass pups will sound as good - but I wanted to see if anyone else on the board are using them - and if not - what are you using (as long as you're not routing the body)?

Cheers!

Bobby
Sir Bobby Painterman - Knight of the Plexi Palace. (It only took me 8.5 years...)
Painterman
Knight

Postby brycebites on Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:02 pm

I've not heard of Lollars but I am using a pair of overwound Wizard Pickups 84's. They have a higher output than the stock pickups that were in my US jazz and sound less polite. It makes the bass a closer match to my SD Sledge Hammer loaded P bass.

http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk/shop.asp?category=Bass
brycebites
Certified

Postby 1953Vintage on Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:31 pm

My Sadowsky Ultra-Vintage P Bass has Lollars and they sound fabulous with the Sadowsky onboard preamp!
Visit the Sound City Site!
1953Vintage
Baron

Postby Painterman on Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:05 pm

I got the Lollars installed - and WOW - it's what this bass needed!

It always felt good - but tonally it always lacked something.

Now it's one of the better sounding basses in my collection.

8)
Sir Bobby Painterman - Knight of the Plexi Palace. (It only took me 8.5 years...)
Painterman
Knight

Postby birdie on Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:49 pm

1953Vintage wrote:My Sadowsky Ultra-Vintage P Bass has Lollars and they sound fabulous with the Sadowsky onboard preamp!

i have a japan made sad. V with stock pups, they don't quite make me happy. how do those lollars sound in passive mode?

thanks!
birdie
Certified

Postby 1953Vintage on Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:12 pm

Sorry I can't help you there: I never use the passive setting on any of my Sadowsky basses; I like Roger's preamp too much. I defeat/don't use the tone/EQ controls on my amps and instead use the onboard preamp to dial in sounds. (I've even run my basses through a power amp alone.)

But in active mode, the Lollar P-Bass PU is just amazing, with tons of output and gobs of tone.

Not to hijack the thread from Lollar here, but... another preamp to consider on your Metro Sadowsky bass might be a Nordstand offering: check them out. I have their MM 4.2 model on both my MIK MTD Kingstons (fretted and fretless) and love them, active (via an EMG BTC "Control") or passive. I also have a set of their NJ4SV on order for my Sadowsky fretless.

Best regards!
1953Vintage
Baron

Postby ozsubrosa on Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:50 pm

More hijacking, sorry. '53, what's your op on the EMG BTC? I bought a couple of them years ago because they were so cheap but never installed them. I have a Cort Action V as a backup/liearound bass. There's a reasonable change from pup selection but the passive treble is useless and I prefer active controls. Worth putting the BTC in to spice it up?

It's an inexpensive bass, so the BTC could be a low workload improvement.

Oz
"Have bass, will valve"
ozsubrosa
Baron

Postby 1953Vintage on Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:20 am

My all-time favorite onboard preamp is the Sadowsky, hands down, but the EMG BTC is a fraction of its cost and really makes sense on a lower-tier bass like the Korean-made MTD Kingston.

This said, the EMG BTC adds a decent amount of low end and top end, but neither is overemphasized, and it works well with the passive Nordstrand MM pickup as well.

(In my previous post when I referred to Nordstrand, I meant "pickup" not "preamp." Sorry!)

Best regards!
1953Vintage
Baron

Postby ozsubrosa on Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:50 pm

Thanks for the op, '53. I've bought tons of bits over time but I don't think I'll ever get around to extensive wood surgery on this bass. As the Cort has a large rear rout, the BTC should be a simple dropin replacement for the passive tone control.

I had a look at Nordstrand's site and I like what I read. The MM4 is very keenly priced; I'm slightly tempted by their 5-string Jazz pups but, if I got the chisel out, my parts bin is even more tempting.

Oz
"Have bass, will valve"
ozsubrosa
Baron

Postby ozsubrosa on Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:01 pm

BTW, and returning slightly back to topic, I'm having replacement work done on my defretted Fenix Jazz. Fenix were made by Young Chang (who made Squiers when production moved from Japan to Korea). A nice bass (very similar to the Japanese Squiers) and the neck pup has a good tone. I don't think the bridge pup has the Jazz sound, though.

It's having a Fender Vintage 60s bridge pup (and a Graphtech piezo setup) fitted and should be ready soon. I'll report back on the replacement if it's of use to the thread.

Oz
"Have bass, will valve"
ozsubrosa
Baron

Postby worldoftone on Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:08 pm

THe best sounding P-Bass p?Us I have ever had are the ones in my Frankenstein '66. They are from '70, and are a bit lower output than the standard P-Bass P/Us. Go figure. They do sound freaking fantastic with a lot of clarity.

- WOT
The Ayatollah of uh-rock-and-uh-rollahhhhhh

worldoftone
Prince

Postby birdie on Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:05 pm

thanks for all the info. i have been looking at nordstrom pup's as well.

on the other hand, i have been getting my sad v dialed in a little better lately.

sometimes if i spend the time, i wont spend the cash!
birdie
Certified

Postby 1953Vintage on Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:30 am

Birdie...

My Sadowsky Ultra-Vintage J-Bass has Sadowsky's humbucking J pickups, so I know they can yield a great sound.

I've been playing Sadowsky basses --- fours and fives, with frets and without --- since 1995. I learned fairly early on that although the Sadowsky preamp is only 9 Volts, the output its Bass Control is capable of can crush the front end (i.e., the preamp) of most amps. My Eden WT-300 is almost unusable with my Sadowsky basses, because the automatic compression circuit in the WT-300 kicks in way too soon, and I can never get sufficient output to make the amp usable (and, for this reason, it's been relegated to use as a practice amp or with passive basses).

The amps I've found that work best with Sadowsky basses are my Sadowsky SA-200 (best of all), all my Hiwatts (second best), my Sound City 120 (heavily modified preamp), and my Ashdown Electric Blue 180 (which has one of the sweetest preamps going... even flat!).

FWIW... HTH... best regards...
1953Vintage
Baron

Postby 1953Vintage on Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:32 am

Sometimes if i spend the time, i wont spend the cash!

Good one!

My Sadowsky Ultra-Vintage J-Bass has Sadowsky's humbucking J pickups, so I know they can yield a great sound.

I've been playing Sadowsky basses --- fours and fives, with frets and without --- since 1995. I learned fairly early on that although the Sadowsky preamp is only 9 Volts, the output its Bass Control is capable of can crush the front end (i.e., the preamp) of most amps. My Eden WT-300 is almost unusable with my Sadowsky basses, because the automatic compression circuit in the WT-300 kicks in way too soon, and I can never get sufficient output to make the amp usable (and, for this reason, it's been relegated to use as a practice amp or with passive basses).

The amps I've found that work best with Sadowsky basses are my Sadowsky SA-200 (best of all), all my Hiwatts (second best), my Sound City 120 (heavily modified preamp), and my Ashdown Electric Blue 180 (which has one of the sweetest preamps going... even flat!).

FWIW... HTH... best regards... :D :D
1953Vintage
Baron

Postby 1953Vintage on Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:32 am

Sorry for the double posting... :oops:
1953Vintage
Baron

Next

Return to Bass Talk