Non Bass player needed advice on HOLLOWBODIED BASS's

Safe haven for everything low-frequency. Bass players unite in this forum.

Postby Speckled Jim on Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:18 pm

dadofsix wrote:If is a short scale bass he's looking for, how about a Fender Musicmaster 3/4 bass. You can still find some on the various auction sites in the $600.00--$750.00 range. I have one and it could be a nice transition bass for someone with a guitar background. If he likes playing the bass, and wants to stick with it, then, in the future, he can move up to a full neck bass like my Jazz or a P-bass.

<><Peace

Way beyond my budget dadofsix.. although I agree the the fact that it's short scale would good.

After deliberation, the parameters have been widened.. and I'm looking for something classy/timeless and most of all something a 12 year old lad who's into Rock can get started on..

My current think is an Epiphone EB-0.. any thoughts ?
Sadly, a former Marshall and Vox owner/user, however now just about "Rig-less".. but, I do still own a very naughty 1964 HOFNER VERITHIN.. and that's just about it !
Speckled Jim
Page

Postby brycebites on Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:31 pm

Some people like the EB-0. It's not as great sounding as it looks IMO. Yes it does have a distinctive sound but it is very muddy. The EB-3 works due to the bridge pickup to put some high-mids and highs into the sound.
brycebites
Certified

Postby Qmoder on Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:12 pm

I like hollow body basses. Light weight, woody tone, and they will hold a note as long you care to keep your finger on it.
Qmoder
Qmoder
Page

Postby Vortexion on Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:32 am

Hi Jim!

I'm the chap that Brycebites mentioned: the one with a Dean Stylist, who changed the pickups. You're quite right not to consider this bass for your son's situation. The Stylist has a 3inch deep country-style body, which makes it quite a monster to hang round your neck, and also renders it prone to feedback, so if your lad is playing in a band who like it LOUD, he'd be fighting a losing battle! :lol:

I've played the Ibanez Artcore AGB200 you've seen, and it's a lovely instrument. Not strictly a true hollowbody, in that it consists of a solid central block with hollow body wings, but a great bass nevertheless.

I don't know what part of the world you're in, Jim, but here in the UK, the budget-conscious bassist can also consider the Richwood Hunter, which has been getting good reviews:

Vortexion
Newt

Postby Qmoder on Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:29 pm

Is your Dean a shortscale? Nice looking bass it looks my Allen Woody with and F hole. Which is not a bad thing. Is the Ibanez a shortscale. I have and Artcore hollow body guitar and its a well made instrument.
Qmoder
Qmoder
Page

Postby Vortexion on Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:58 pm

Qmoder wrote:Is your Dean a shortscale?

It's 32inch scale, but if you're used to a 34inch, you'll not notice the difference. It certainly doesn't feel like a shortscale. I have big hands/long fingers, so it suits me fine.
Vortexion
Newt

Postby Qmoder on Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:06 pm

I have four short scales and three medium scale basses so the thirty two inch is no biggie to me. I checked on them though and none are available in blue. I'd like a light blue one.
Don't laugh Daisy Rock made a blue one in the H retro style and MF blue them out for a hundred a piece but I missed them LOL.. I would trade a Rogue, a Fullerton, or a Sivlertone bass for one straight up or buy it if some one that they want to get rid of one.
I say don't laugh because I have one of their twelve strings in a semi hollow body that I got a GC blow of them. Its a real nice little guitar for the money.
I'm not into Atomiic Pink though LOL..
Qmoder
Qmoder
Page

Previous

Return to Bass Talk